Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

Re: What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post Number:#16 by abhishek7081
» 13 Mar 2017, 03:13

well, i like imagination getting wings of fire and letting it free to fly in the sky when i close my eyes , and so is the genre "post apocalyptic". It is based upon what you see when you close your eyes and imagine the world going through a disaster, how interesting it is, to let your brain create some tiles out of the thoughts and to see it. i love this...
abhishek7081

Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Corvac
» 13 Mar 2017, 06:50

It is a genre with such a massive amount of potential, and that tends to be the problem. There are a few fantastic novels that are post-apocalyptic (A handmaid’s tale jumps to mind), however there is also a lot of rubbish in the genre.
Corvac's Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Corvac

Currently Reading: Firefight
Bookshelf Size: 421 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#18 by Scerakor
» 14 Mar 2017, 10:41

I have been on a apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic binge lately and it has forced me to re-think why I like the genre so much. I think that it is interesting seeing everyone's different perspectives on how they think the world is going, what will be the cause of our downfall, and the respective aftermath of it all. I also think that there is an element of hubris to it as well. A good post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic story often has an arm-in-arm link with a survival story and a reader often NEEDS to see themselves as being able to make it among the elite few who have survived the end of days.

Will there be a complete collapse of society? I don't think that any one event will see the end (or partial end) of the human race, but I do think that isolated incidents have the potential to cause massive amounts of destruction in isolated geographies.
Scerakor

Currently Reading: The Long Utopia
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 23%

Post Number:#19 by Aimy
» 17 Mar 2017, 07:41

I think we are moving towards destruction. Our environment is destroying. Our societies are becoming more and more intolerant. We are accumulating loads of weapons to destroy humans.
Aimy's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#20 by CarrieMe
» 18 Mar 2017, 01:38

I enjoy this genre sometimes, but it can be really hit or miss for me. If the book is really well-written and has excellent characters, I can enjoy even the most bleak and hopeless scenario. However, if the book isn't super engaging, I get frustrated very quickly, more so than with other genres.
CarrieMe

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 344 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#21 by Dh_
» 18 Mar 2017, 16:43

I really enjoy reading books in this genre, but I have to admit that they make me think about the possibility of the world coming to an end. I think that it's very likely that some type of disaster will occur in the- hopefully very distant- future, but for the time being it's great to see the possible scenarios that authors come up with.
Dh_

Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: Carry On
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

Post Number:#22 by The Researcher
» 20 Mar 2017, 04:15

I generally don't like this genre but the stimulating discussions on this book have compelled me to reconsider my stand. It is a food for thought that what will and how will the civilization end?
What is the most special thing i did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 148%

Post Number:#23 by hsimone
» 24 Mar 2017, 03:40

CataclysmicKnight wrote:I LOVE post-apocalyptic stories! The Walking Dead, The Postman, The 100, even things like Mad Max... they highlight how differently people would act when law and order are things of the past and we have more to fear than boredom and missing a rent payment. They DO require great characters though, as that's what really makes or breaks a post-apocalyptic story.

As for whether it'll happen, I think it's inevitable to some extent. Whether it's a world war that changes life, some terrible natural disaster or just running out of enough natural resources to continue the way we are, eventually I think it has to happen. I'm sure I won't see it in my lifetime, though, which I'm happy about!

I have very similar feelings. Love this genre, but it needs strong characters in order to make it a worthwhile read.

Also, I can see the running out of resources scenario happening eventually, but it's hard to really say and definitely something I don't like to think about! But, I also don't think I will see it in my lifetime, and I'm good that!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Playing Hurt
Bookshelf Size: 360 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 30%