Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?
Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:
Will there be a complete collapse of society? I don't think that any one event will see the end (or partial end) of the human race, but I do think that isolated incidents have the potential to cause massive amounts of destruction in isolated geographies.
CataclysmicKnight wrote:I LOVE post-apocalyptic stories! The Walking Dead, The Postman, The 100, even things like Mad Max... they highlight how differently people would act when law and order are things of the past and we have more to fear than boredom and missing a rent payment. They DO require great characters though, as that's what really makes or breaks a post-apocalyptic story.
As for whether it'll happen, I think it's inevitable to some extent. Whether it's a world war that changes life, some terrible natural disaster or just running out of enough natural resources to continue the way we are, eventually I think it has to happen. I'm sure I won't see it in my lifetime, though, which I'm happy about!
I have very similar feelings. Love this genre, but it needs strong characters in order to make it a worthwhile read.
Also, I can see the running out of resources scenario happening eventually, but it's hard to really say and definitely something I don't like to think about! But, I also don't think I will see it in my lifetime, and I'm good that!
- Lilimaster of Bookshelves
- Posts: 3979
- Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
- Location: Snuggling with a Book :)
- Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
- Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Bookshelf Size: 370 books
View Reviewer Page
- Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
- 2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
- Goal Completion: 34%
- Posts: 2085
- Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
- Location: Lost in My Imagination
- Favorite Author: James Patterson
- Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
- Currently Reading: Boys Adventure Through The Wild West
- Bookshelf Size: 575 books
View Reviewer Page
- Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
- 2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
- Goal Completion: 35%
Regarding end of civilization, I reckon it will happen eventually unless there are some major environmental changes. Not in our life times, but maybe a few generations down the road I think pollution and climate change will inevitably get the best of us. Of course that's decades away, and a lot of positive environmental and technological advances could happen before hand, so who really knows.