Overall Rating of "Station Eleven"

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating of "Station Eleven"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2017 Book of the Month "Station Eleven" by St. John Mandel.

What is your overall opinion of "Station Eleven"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Did you mean Station Eleven? It still says Diary of an Immortal...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:Did you mean Station Eleven? It still says Diary of an Immortal...
Yes. I fixed it. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I feel like I say this a lot, but I was a little disappointed. This was a book that's been on my TBR for awhile and I've heard such great things about it from different sources. So maybe it was just too built up for me and I was left underwhelmed. I liked the story, but I didn't love it. I liked how everything came full circle at the end, but at a certain point in the book it was pretty obvious that's the direction that it was heading. I felt the plot moved along kind of slowly and I didn't really much care for Arthur's storyline. I gave the book 3 stars.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I gave this book 4 stars. I received it as a present, but I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it--I rarely read books like this any more, because they all seem to be very similar. That wasn't the case, though. There were several things I liked, including the variety of characters and the locations where the story takes place (some are areas I'm familiar with). I'd like to try some of the author's other books as well. I definitely suggest it to other readers!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I gave it a full 4 stars, though I almost rated it a 3 (due to multiple minor issues I had with it).
I actually quite enjoyed it, though I'm not the biggest fan of this POV. I loved the origin of the title.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I want to read this book. Do I have to buy it in order to read it?
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

I'm happy to see Station Eleven is the BOTM! It's been on my to-read list for a while and seeing it as BOTM has put it to the front of the line. I just grabbed it from the library today and will start in on it this weekend.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
gali

Post by gali »

Bookworm39 wrote:I want to read this book. Do I have to buy it in order to read it?
Yes, or borrow it from your local library.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I read this a while ago, and I'm going to have to revisit in order to give an accurate rating. I remember enjoying it, but I don't think I loved this book. But, I'm looking forward to revisiting it to discuss more!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I just read the description of this book and I'm interested in reading it! I hope it goes on sale soon... sounds like a very interesting premise; I love a good apocalyptic thriller!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

I just finished it and eagerly give it a full 4 stars. I liked many of the characters and the storyline, especially how it jumped around to different times. The story made me think about so many conveniences we take for granted and how the world would work (or not work) if everything just stopped. The Traveling Symphony stole my heart and I rooted for this rag-tag bunch of performers who genuinely wanted to bring a little beauty into a cruel world. I had never read any books from this author and now I'm adding her other works to my list.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Lulubelle
Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Lulubelle »

I would also give it 4 stars. I thought all the characters were interesting, and I enjoyed learning their backstories. I would have liked to have seen more of the Station Eleven artwork.
BoazChipere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BoazChipere »

it's a Fair book with vast turnouts, intriguing story on the outcome results.Its all about survival which can relate to circumstances one faces and that you can do anything to survive in every situation you encounter as an individual
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I enjoyed reading this story. The plot was fascinating. A pandemic that ends civilization as we know it. It is hard to fathom such a world-ending scenario but with people our society can not function. We often forget with all our automation and gadgets that people are still at the heart of what makes our civilization work. Another aspect of the story that I really enjoyed was the flash-forward and flash-back literary approach used by the author. This is one of my favorite literary devices. It allows a story to move forward and then at appropriate times allows the author to fill in back story. The characters of the story were all well developed and the imaginative portrayal of this post-apocalyptic world was gripping. I enjoyed Kristen's character the most and I also enjoyed how most of the people we are introduced to have a connection to Arthur. Miranda, Elizabeth and Tyler who later became the prophet, Clark, Jeevan, and Kristen - the story comes full circle. I would have really liked for Kristen and Tyler to have discovered the connection to Arthur, but he was too far gone to have likely cared. I also enjoyed how the symbolism of the comic book story seemed to arise at interesting times. Overall, I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars. This type of story requires immense imaginative skills and understanding of human nature. I would recommend this story to others. Great read!

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”