Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What makes us human?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

What makes us human?

Post Number:#1 by cjohns105
» 01 Feb 2017, 18:10

In many parts of the book we find Steven purposefully distancing himself from different aspects of his life before. At other times, the way he sees the world and the situations he encounters in it, seem to change dramatically in a short period of time without a conscious effort on his part.

What do you think the author is trying to say about what makes us human? Are the changes Steven goes through meant to aid him, or make a point to the reader? What do you think makes us human?
cjohns105

Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: What makes us human?

Post Number:#2 by Wasif Ahmed
» 01 Feb 2017, 22:51

cjohns105 wrote:In many parts of the book we find Steven purposefully distancing himself from different aspects of his life before. At other times, the way he sees the world and the situations he encounters in it, seem to change dramatically in a short period of time without a conscious effort on his part.

What do you think the author is trying to say about what makes us human? Are the changes Steven goes through meant to aid him, or make a point to the reader? What do you think makes us human?

Personally, I believe that our capacity to think does. Even immortals are humans. For example- all religions believe in paradise. In paradise, humans will be there but they shall be immortal.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed's Latest Review: "The Color Of Murder" by Loretta Moore
Wasif Ahmed

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#3 by Donnavila Marie01
» 02 Feb 2017, 05:47

What makes us human is our emotional aspect. The feeling of love and hate, fear and courage and most importantly, our capability of hoping. These emotions connect us with other humans.
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading: Thera and the Exodus
Bookshelf Size: 35 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#4 by Insightsintobooks
» 02 Feb 2017, 08:14

I think that our emotions and our ability to think logically are what make us human.
Insightsintobooks's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Insightsintobooks

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#5 by Wasif Ahmed
» 02 Feb 2017, 09:07

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:What makes us human is our emotional aspect. The feeling of love and hate, fear and courage and most importantly, our capability of hoping. These emotions connect us with other humans.

Yes. I forgot to mention emotions but they also play a role in defining that we are humans. 😊
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 02 Feb 2017, 10:26

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. However, I think one of the most important qualities that make us human is our ability to choose. Many times our choices are guided by our emotions, but it is important to realize being human allows us to create the life we live through our choices.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "A Handful of Destiny" by Tony Nash
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 148%

Post Number:#7 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 03 Feb 2017, 09:14

Well, not saying anything new here - what makes us human (as opposed to animals??) is emotion and intellect. What makes us human (as opposed to Godlike?) is mortality =D Oh, and lack of omniscience and omnipresence, and stuff like that LOL!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 207 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by gali
» 03 Feb 2017, 12:57

I agree with the above. I think our compassion makes us human as well as our ability to imagine things that do not exist.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Whip Hand
Bookshelf Size: 1610 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#9 by Jasmine M Wardiya
» 03 Feb 2017, 18:58

I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.
Jasmine M Wardiya's Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Jasmine M Wardiya

Currently Reading: The Iron Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 227 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Gravy
» 05 Feb 2017, 03:42

I believe it's the ability to consciously choose to put others before ourselves.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Long Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 853 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#11 by MarisaRose
» 05 Feb 2017, 08:58

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.

Interesting response! I definitely think the idea of inputing emotional data into a robot is incredibly scary. But I like what you said about what makes us different from other species such as those in Star Wars or LOTR. But in reality, I wonder if there are other species out there like humans? Is it realistic to think there are other species on other planets that also have the same abilities as us? Or will we, someday, merely find that other organisms on other planets do not have the same capacity to feel and think and choose as we do?

I also like your point about Steven! We will have to see, in future books, if he does reject his humanity absolutely. I think over time, as an immortal, constantly seeing those you are close with leave the Earth, it is definitely a possibility.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "A Handful of Destiny" by Tony Nash
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 148%

Post Number:#12 by +++---
» 05 Feb 2017, 11:16

Our rationality and power of adaptation these two things makes us human .
+++---

Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#13 by psychopathycathy
» 05 Feb 2017, 15:28

Emotions and our ability to act according to those. Feelings like empathy and compassion, while I admit are not exclusive to humans, are spread through our ability to communicate collectively.
psychopathycathy's Latest Review: "Kids Kids Kids" by Marlene L Burns
psychopathycathy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1321 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by Wasif Ahmed
» 05 Feb 2017, 19:11

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.

Interesting response! Although AI isn't probably due in our lifetime. Well then, maybe its our biological appearance that makes us human. 😊
Wasif Ahmed

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#15 by hsimone
» 06 Feb 2017, 12:34

I also agree with a lot that has been said - the ability to think, feel, adapt, and make choices makes us humans.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 370 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 34%