You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by BookWormMommy »

Yes- If I could take a select few loved ones with me.
"oh the places you'll go"- Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Rattusv
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

Depends. What's the catch? I would love to be immortal, but I would not want to be immortal if I lost my soul.
Catarina Ferreira
Currently Reading: Sinto-te
Bookshelf Size: 122

Post by Catarina Ferreira »

That depends…could my family be immortal too? If yes, I would. Otherwise, I would prefer not to. Family, books and notebooks are indisputable to survive immortality :P
Ghingir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00D029NNA

Post by Ghingir »

I think it is very tempting, especially if you could be reverted to young, beautiful, and healthy, knowing you would stay that way forever. Imagine the skills you could build over the ages; perhaps even enough intelligence to solve world problems and provide immortality to others.

On the other hand, I don't think I would want to suffer the heartbreak of everyone I love always dying before me, time and time again. I think in the end I would have to say, No.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I would if it is with my love ones and good people i know else i'll take a no because I wouldn't want to live forever facing all the problem and evil in the world. I'll prefer the other immortality in paradise where there are no evil, pain or suffering.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I would not want to become immortal because after a certain period of time you would become lonely and bored. Immorality is very attractive as a mortal, but when your friends and family start passing away it is not fun anymore. If given the choice, I would make my friends and family immortal as well for endless fun. I also think that if I were immortal I would read a lot of books. :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

No. Honestly, I think I'll be tired of living at some point.

“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Absolutely. I would love to be immortal. Basically, the idea is that you only have one life to live, so do as much as you can. Well, in reality most people work 5 days a week to make money and the last two days are working on errands, house work, and resting for the next couple of days. Very little time to do even 10% of your bucket list more or less see and do it all.
I want to see and do it all! The fear that comes with many of those things are out the window, because, hello, immortal.
Yes, family and friends will be long gone, but that is a mind set. Be happy for those that have lived their lives, make new friends, and move on. (This is easier for me, because I grew up moving every year of my life, making new friends each time, and I'm only 27 and mom, dad, one baby brother, my favorite uncle, two grandpas, and a grandma have all past away.)
Besides, in most all immortal stories, there is a way to end it.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

It's hard to say. My initial reaction is yes, I would like to be immortal. There's so much I want to learn, so much I want to read, so much I want to see, so much I want to accomplish. There's now way I'd be able to do it with a normal lifespan. However, continually losing friends and family would be tough. Also, there's always going to be new fields and topics that pop up that I'll want to learn about. I think I'd get exhausted of it all eventually.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandre »

I wouldn't want to become immortal on my own. But then again sometimes its best to be a lone ranger and just travel and do your own thing.
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

Since I would have to make ends meet for that entire time (I sincerely doubt that I would get immortality funds) I don't think so.

I would rather have a short, fulfilling life. Length doesn't matter to me whatsoever.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Peterpanreads
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterpanreads.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peterpanreads »

No. I wouldn't. Have any of you read The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Claire? Immortality has become undesirable for me after reading that trilogy. More so if I'm the only one who get immortalized, while the people I love don't. I imagine that it will be extremely sad. Sure, I get an eternity to do whatever I want, but isn't it sad to see the people you care for grow old and die while you don't?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Lolly_Reader »

Of course I would, assuming a few things such as not growing older or ill or being trapped down a crevasse on Mt Everest for eternity. Like the "I grant you three wishes" genie scenarios, it would be great fun until the other shoe drops.
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

I will be happy knowing that I will not die. I will use this opportunity to set peace in the whole world. So I like the idea.
Abailey717
Currently Reading: The Winner's Crime
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Abailey717 »

It's hard to answer this question and not think of the enthralling characters I have encountered in past books, but maybe that is not necessarily a bad thing. Those characters used their time in books, quite well and purposefully. I think that if I were to be immortal I could do such as that; be purposeful and make an awesome impact on so many people's lives. Of course for the first part of it I would do a lot of things for myself, but once that was worn down to a think point I think that the ability of helping others would be appealing and something I could get lost in. I'm not sure how long I would be able to handle this, I'm sure it would get a bit lonely after a while since most of the people I would have known would have died by now. That is the big part that has me second guessing. To always meet people who you can never truely keep would be difficult.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”