You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by interrupted_girl »

Interesting question.... Made me think...
Answer is I don't know. For now, I feel that merely realizing my mortality is making me value and live my life in a more authentic manner!
Again, nice topic.
Thnx
Carla G
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carla G »

If it's for a good purpose why not then. Everything is wonderful if its all about loving.
LRBarton
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by LRBarton »

i must decline your offer to become immortal. life is all about change and growing older. not to mention having to see all my loved ones grow up and grow old and die. it would be very lonely. my first thought was eternity on earth. I expect to spend eternity in heaven with God. I'm a strong believer if you haven't figured that already and a lot of my ideas of the after life are based on God's promises from the bible. In my mind I'm immortal in the holy spirit and my life truly will begin when I die and go to heaven.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have often thought about this, and I am not sure if I really know the answer. The idea of never dying or never growing older is fascinating, but I believe that I will go to heaven when I die, which then I will be young and live forever. I don't know that I would want to live forever on this earth. I like the idea of living out my life in the best way that I am able to and then going home to God. The idea of living on and watching everyone that I love eventually grow old and leave this earth, and not being able to go with them would be heartbreaking to me.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

Unless the world was dotted with immortals, the answer would be no. I wouldn't want to be alone for eternity.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

I most definitely would become immortal. That's endless time on my hands to be and achieve the million things that I desire to be, to explore the world's secrets and live a life without fear and worry. It might get lonely after a while, but I heard mortals are great company. :lol:
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am Catholic and we believe in eternal life with the Creator. In that sense, yes, I do choose immortality.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

Absolutely not, I love my kip and look forward to oblivion.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
brookelyon
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by brookelyon »

No! I absolutely would not. I think that life would lose all of its meaning if it lost its essence of ephemerality. Also, I think I would get really really bored. Plus, you have to consider how your physical self would be changing as well... I guess depending on that factor (eternal youth?) maybe the answer would be slightly different. But my gut reaction is no. Definitely not.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

As long as I'd look like a vampire with good looks, sparkling skin and all. Haha kidding aside, It's tempting to say yes, but No. Mortality is what makes this life exciting. :)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Velaush
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66249">War Music Homer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-velaush.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00891HZFK

Post by Velaush »

Oh this is a tough one. I'd love to not grow old and read as much books as I want without concern about time but on the other hand, if I do become one, I'm afraid I might be overcome with loneliness and solitude. Hmmm, immortality is really tempting but having a finite existence isn't so bad too. Ugh I can't decide.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

The idea of becoming immortal always will have its appeal. But I think if I really had the choice I would say no. I think the constant pain of watching the people you love die around you would beecome too much to bear
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

EMoffat wrote:The idea of becoming immortal always will have its appeal. But I think if I really had the choice I would say no. I think the constant pain of watching the people you love die around you would beecome too much to bear
Yes, indeed. The death of a loved one is a dagger through the heart. (Just two days ago, my best friend lost her husband to a sudden heart attack. That got me to remembering my mom's death last year. The pain of loss is excruciating.)
Charlene Cana
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3947">Miss Mabel's School for Girls</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlene-cana.html

Post by Charlene Cana »

I think this is a delicate question considering our beliefs can affect our view of life and immortality. But if given the chance, I will want to become immortal. I think boredom will not become a problem since the world is really huge and constantly changing, not to mention the cosmos I should be able to survive exploring. Also, there are some who believe that all dead people will be resurrected on the Appointed Day. We are not excluding any possibilities on this topic right? So, if they are right then the pain of losing my loved ones will be bearable knowing it is only temporary.
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I probably wouldn't become immortal. I wouldn't want to outlive my son or other younger family members.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”