You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Kendrag
Currently Reading: Gone The Next
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrag.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by Kendrag »

I think I would have to pass on this opportunity. Although tempting, I think everyone has a reason for being. Everyone has a purpose, I would love to believe that everyone who passes at a young age has left their mark on the world before their time comes to an end. Take each opportunity you are given and take chances! When you think you've found your purpose make the best of it.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

No, I wouldn't, unless I met the love of my life and we were immortal together. That's a big maybe, lol.
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Scampie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Scampie »

Yes!! But only if I could make my loved ones immortal also and we could have perfect health again. Imagine what one could learn and read if you had forever...
konnapap
Currently Reading: ethan frome
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konnapap.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by konnapap »

Isn't what makes life great the fact that it's going to end at some point? What's the use of being immortal when you will lose the people you love over and over again? I mean, we all are afraid of dying, but spending an eternity on your own it's not a promising thought.
karoshni

Post by karoshni »

no i would not like that has i would be the same and all my loved ones around me will die and leave me alone I am most afraid of being alone in life
StvMuturi

Post by StvMuturi »

I don't think so, unless I was to stay the same age! But would I be able to keep up with technology in, say, a thousand years?
On the other hand, if I could roam the Universe at several times the speed of light, then I'd go for it! :D
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I would say no, I would not want to be immortal. I think the emotional pain of watching everyone around me die and move on would be very, very hard.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Corvac
Currently Reading: Firefight
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corvac.html

Post by Corvac »

Immortal? No.

That would be the most permanent decision anybody could make.

Living a hundred years is great, a thousand would have its up and downs, but it could still be good. A Million years? Longer? Even longer than that?

I would jump at living a really, really, really long time. True immortality however, would be the most tedious thing ever.
Taffaney Barnett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffaney-barnett.html

Post by Taffaney Barnett »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
If i were given the choice of immortality i would not take it. to be honest i wouldn't want to live for ever to watch everyone else around me die. the world would become boring and lonely eventually. :D

-- 08 Mar 2017, 13:30 --

no i would take this opportunity nobody wants to live forever and watch the world fades and die.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Immortality, I think, is more a curse than a boon. Apart from the fact that everyone around us would die and the eventual loneliness that would befall such a person, it would seem like a long tiring journey with no destination in sight. Little joys of life would have no meaning. Ambition and the drive to accomplish something in life, will diminish because we'll feel like there's a lot of time left for that or such a person would achieve their goals and have nothing worth living for. It would be boring to continue forever.

Rather I would choose to be born again and again (though that can be a pain too), because it would give me a chance to start anew, unlearn somethings, and relearn some more. :)
kashif faridi

Post by kashif faridi »

Had Adam & Eve not fell to temptation I would in any case be immortal sitting under a heaven tree and reading books written on leaves, bones, stones and wood but not paper. :D :roll: :lol2: :tiphat:
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Although the thought of becoming Immortal seems exciting because think of all the different things you could do. Become a doctor, historian, teacher, any number of decisions you would never have to wish you could do over. The downside of immortal as I see it, is all the people you would love and lose along the way. Humans would seem fragile and short lived. It's sad that animals live such short lives and we have a hard time saying goodby to them. How much harder to say goodby to spouses, siblings and children repeatedly? No I think I prefer my one normal life packed with everything I can experience.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jassika

Post by jassika »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
Nothing is impossible
digimarkagency
Currently Reading: Digimark Agency

Post by digimarkagency »

Interesting title ;)
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I've always thought that I definitely wouldn't want to be immortal. But now that I realize I'd have endless time to read, it seems a lot more tempting...
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”