You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
SonjaB1006
Currently Reading: The List
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonjab1006.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by SonjaB1006 »

I think I would take the chance to be immortal. There are so many things that I want to see and do and being immortal would certainly give me the time I lack now to achieve it all. It would also give me the security to travel to places I would otherwise feel unsafe travelling to alone, meaning I would get to see more.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I would do it. I feel that there's not enough hours in a day and I worry that I won't be able to do everything I want to do in my life. I love to learn and create things and I know that I'm still pretty young, but I've already achieved many things and I crave even more. I'm 26 and I've already worked for the same employer for 10 years, changed careers twice, and now work for the #1 hospital in Washington state.

I'm happiest with nature, and have dreams that I'd one day be able to live off the grid, fully self-sufficient.

I'm 39 years away from retirement, but I feel that I work too hard for this green paper that we all call "money" and have a hard time comprehending what exactly it does for me. Yes, it can buy me a kindle, pay my internet and electricity bill, but these things is not what life is about and it doesn't fill me with the satisfaction that I'm searching for.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I wouldn't want to be immortal in this present world. However, my religious views inform me that we all have eternal souls that hang in the balance of either spending forever in heaven or hell so I believe we have no choice but to be immortal just not in this fleshy body. This world is fleeting and death is but a door to new existence.
MarvelGirl
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Currently Reading: Tender Is the Night
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by MarvelGirl »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
It would definitely depend on a few factors, for me personally.

For one, what would be the details of my immortality? Would I stay my exact same age as I am now, but not be able to die? Would I be human in every other sense, or would I have any kind of other powers and abilities?

Another deciding factor would be whether I was the only person with this immortality or if others, maybe even other people I knew, could be immortal.
Data Adjasi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-data-adjasi.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Data Adjasi »

As spirit beings inhabiting bodies, we are already immortal because it is only our bodies that die leaving our souls and spirits to journey on to heaven or hell (as in Christianity)

However to be given the choice of becoming physically immortal will be a very interesting and wonderful experience because I would be a very great historian who will witness a lot of generations, advice leaders and personally undertake a lot of revolutionary measures to improve our world. As the maxim goes; our present is a sum of our past, and our future is a product of our past and present.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

I've thought about this, after seeing movies and reading books with immortal characters. I'd say No, for several reasons. One is that I think it would be hard not to get terminally bored by an infinite existence. Also the loneliness of it would be tough to take, watching everyone you cared for die over and over. Then there's the fact that the Earth itself won't last forever, and if humankind doesn't develop space travel and colonies elsewhere to go to... I wonder what would happen, even to an immortal, if the world he or she was living on was consumed by its sun.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Absolutely, however it would take a few centuries to adapt to the realities of love and loss. That would be hard - but if I could turn others immortal with me then even more absolutely!
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

Hell, NO! Get away from me.. I want none of that! I am more than happy to die in God's good time.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandre »

Honestly I don't think I would. It would be wrong on so many levels. Plus I couldn't take my family or kids with me. So what would the purpose be. Maybe if I was an orphan and I wasn't married with my kids.

Very tough decisions to make
Deliza
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deliza.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by Deliza »

It would depend I suppose...on if there would still be the option to end it. I mean, vampires are immortal but a stake, beheading, or daytime stroll and they are no more. But for me, this is the main flaw in the immortality option. i feel that should i find true love, or get too bored and eager to try out the afterlife, I would like the option to be open to me.
It it is, then YEAH...sign me up for the immortality package.
QuillReads22
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by QuillReads22 »

I think that it would be fun for a bit, but like many others, I'd want the option to die at some point. There would be so much change in the world and I think it would get lonely.
KaylaA
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaa.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KaylaA »

This was always a questioned that I pondered for my whole life. When I was young, I would always wish that I never had to die because I could do so much in life. Now, I have a lot more enjoyment out of life knowing that I have a time limit than if my life would go on forever. Also, I will have to watch everyone that I love die and I couldn't bare living in that loneliness for eternity.
kinggabrel
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kinggabrel »

My answer would be a no. Even though it my sound pleasant to live forever but watching people you love grow old and die is not the kind of life i am wishing.
judannewen19
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by judannewen19 »

No. I won't. It will just hurt me seeing the people I love go, leaving me behind. I hate seeing those scenes.
flamingo152
Currently Reading: Elegy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flamingo152.html
Latest Review: "“Solution to Arthritis" by Anita Bose

Post by flamingo152 »

Probably not. The initial idea of never dying sounds awesome, but after having to watch all of the people that I care about die, I feel like immortality would get old really fast.
Latest Review: "“Solution to Arthritis" by Anita Bose

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”