Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What makes us human?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

Re: What makes us human?

Post Number:#16 by Jennifer Allsbrook
» 14 Feb 2017, 22:20

cjohns105 wrote:In many parts of the book we find Steven purposefully distancing himself from different aspects of his life before. At other times, the way he sees the world and the situations he encounters in it, seem to change dramatically in a short period of time without a conscious effort on his part.

What do you think the author is trying to say about what makes us human? Are the changes Steven goes through meant to aid him, or make a point to the reader? What do you think makes us human?

I am not sure exactly what the author may be trying to communicate to the reader. Change is a part of life and our ability to roll with the changes, to acclimate and adjust, make a difference in how the change affects us. On the larger topic of what makes us human - from a biologist's point of view, I would say that what sets humans apart from other species is our drive to achieve, to learn, and or to create technology. I started to say our concern for others but then I remembered all the species who exhibit parental care of the young, kin selection and altruistic behavior. We are not unique in caring for others or putting others' needs above our own. Once humans satisfy our basics needs, we begin to strive for more intangible things like knowledge or success. What drives us to spend hours researching, or climbing the highest peak, or training to accomplish feats of athleticism or art? Self-actualization and eventual self-transcendence. Good ole Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I believe this is what makes us human - innate curiosity, drive, and accomplishment.
Jennifer Allsbrook's Latest Review: "Staff Sergeant Belinda Watt" by Tom Holzel
Jennifer Allsbrook

Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: Arrival
Bookshelf Size: 87 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 6%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Genaaa
» 23 Feb 2017, 09:20

I think our emotions are what really make us human. We have the ability to form coherent thoughts and feel so many different things, all at once.
Genaaa

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#18 by bluegreenmarina
» 06 Mar 2017, 14:14

I think compassion and the ability to experience empathy is a big factor, as is our adaptability and range of emotional language enabled by our large frontal lobes.
bluegreenmarina's Latest Review: "Matilda the Queen" by Richard S. Rose
bluegreenmarina

Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: How to Stay Alive in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 1110 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#19 by thabi
» 07 Mar 2017, 04:39

Ability to think,adapt,love one another is very important and to love what we have to do always remember at all times that we are the master of our destiny,d that's what makes us the humans the most.
thabi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

Post Number:#20 by AVIWESIKHULU
» 07 Mar 2017, 04:51

I think what makes us human is our innate curiosity and our ability to laugh, socializing, humanity beacuse a person is a person beacause of others
AVIWESIKHULU

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#21 by Juliss
» 07 Mar 2017, 12:43

We were created to be human and function has such with the ability to reason, to speak and to pray. Animals were created to function as animals with their instinct to guide them. Robots are loaded with information by human beings and given the ability to process them.
Juliss

Post Number:#22 by Moniquejm
» 10 Mar 2017, 01:25

Our ability to empathize makes us human. We understand how others feel and, most often than not, we comfort them to ease the pain. Just being intelligent and reason out are not enough to differentiate us from other species.
Moniquejm

Currently Reading: The Bonding
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#23 by dhomespot
» 10 Mar 2017, 02:22

I would have to say our conscious, soul, and the ability to reason would be some of the things that make us human. Immortality, after a time, may take away some of those things.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
dhomespot's Latest Review: "Twisted peace, Cain" by dennis beggs
dhomespot

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#24 by lindikamazwi
» 10 Mar 2017, 17:04

The fact we can think and react , whether positively or negatively and taking into consideration how the next person will be affected by our actions .
lindikamazwi

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#25 by Toria Mason
» 15 Mar 2017, 08:05

Being human, in essence, is what's inside. Love, hope, fear, making mistakes, falling and getting back up again, learning, failing, LIVING. That is what makes us human.
Toria Mason

Currently Reading: Ruby

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#26 by KasieMiehlke
» 18 Mar 2017, 15:01

I believe our emotions and morals make us human. Our actions are not dictated by the need for survival, but by our conscience.
KasieMiehlke's Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
KasieMiehlke

Currently Reading: The Tower Of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#27 by francislunganyigalo2
» 19 Mar 2017, 13:05

The desire to live guided by the principles of fortitude love and goodwill. the knowledge that someday you will come face to face with your maker and give an account of your deeds both good and bad
francislunganyigalo2

Post Number:#28 by Natalie Charlene
» 20 Mar 2017, 17:44

I agree with a lot of what I have read in this thread. Emotions, intellect, the ability to choose--all of these things are part of being human, but they are not necessarily what separates humans from non-human animals. It has been proven that other animals, such as mammals with higher brain function (apes, dolphins, dogs, etc..) do experience emotion and have certain levels of intellect (obviously not as high as ours). Our brains proportionately have a much larger frontal cortex, which makes us, mentally, who we are. There are other animals out there that do have some levels of consciousness, the ability to experience emotion, and display characteristics that resemble empathy. However, compared to the rest of the animals kingdom, these mental traits are our superpowers.
Natalie Charlene's Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Natalie Charlene

Currently Reading: The Female Brain

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#29 by matildajay
» 21 Mar 2017, 13:09

There are so many answers to this question. I would have to say our written and spoken language (stemming from the idea of logical thought), culture ( as in the social contracts we form with others, in circles big and small), and finally our range and capacity for emotions.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - C.S. Lewis
matildajay

Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 288 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 99 Books
Goal Completion: 242%

Post Number:#30 by Jeyran Main
» 23 Mar 2017, 08:43

I believe besides our emotions and possessing higher intellectual abilities, it is our sense and soul that makes us human.
Jeyran Main

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 178%

PreviousNext