Have you finished the book?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Have you finished the book?

Post by Ripley3131 »

I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this book, and even though it was long, I became so immersed with it that I had it finished in a week. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

No, I didn't. I found it hard to become engaged in the book so decided to quit.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I did finish it and found it to be a tedious read. There was too much going on that I felt the focus of the story was lost. I almost gave up on it several times and thought it could have been better if it was more concise.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I finished it just fine, but it took a bit longer than a week. But that's mostly just because of how I do things. Some days I can just sit and read for a few hours, and others I can barely read for ten minutes at a time. As for this book, I did find that it could be a bit meandering at times, and could seem to lose focus here and there, but there were times when this was for story reasons. Some places were less important, and could have been done away with or changed, but for the most part I did not have much problem with how things progressed. Could've been better, but could've been a lot worse.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Ripley3131 wrote:I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this book, and even though it was long, I became so immersed with it that I had it finished in a week. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
I finished the book but it took a long time since I had to use an Audiobook instead of another format. This required 36+ hours of listening time. I could read the book much faster. I had credits and didn't want to spend the money for a physical copy. I enjoyed the book and am now considering getting the next book in the series. The narrator, Sean Runnette, was great.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

hsimone wrote:I did finish it and found it to be a tedious read. There was too much going on that I felt the focus of the story was lost. I almost gave up on it several times and thought it could have been better if it was more concise.
I completely agree! I thought I felt this way because this particular genre is not my favorite. Glad to know I am not the only one.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Not yet. I'm juggling Roan, the book I'm reviewing later, and this one, so it's a bit of a challenge, but I will. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Yes! I finished it on Christmas Eve and can now effectively participate in the forums ;)
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

It took me a week to read the book. Typically, a book only takes me 1-2 days, but this one is twice as long as usual. I also had a lot less reading time because of the holidays. I finished last night and now I have been exploring the forums for this book.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I just finished it today. It was definitely a tedious read, as others have said. I think I mentioned it in another post, but the story just comes to a halt every time Halar has to heal or start over again in a new place. I've read books with more complicated plots that flowed a lot better. Also, Utai felt more like a living plot device than an actual character. Overall, it's not a bad book and parts of it were really good, but I don't think I would read it again.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I finished the book today, it took me about three days to read it. It was a little slow going at first, I didn't know if I would like it at first or not. There were definitely times when I didn't enjoy it as much as others, but for the most part I liked it. It felt like it was dragging on towards the end though which makes me question whether I'll read the other two or not.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

hsimone wrote:I did finish it and found it to be a tedious read. There was too much going on that I felt the focus of the story was lost. I almost gave up on it several times and thought it could have been better if it was more concise.
I agree with hsimone. I liked the book but it was a very long read. Eric is always distracted with something.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Mbarnes
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbarnes.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mbarnes »

No I did not finish the book. I quit fifteen percent into the book. I just could not do it. If you have read any of my other posts or reviews about this book they are mostly all negative. The only thing that I really liked about the book was the fact that it is written in a diary format. Then there was the time travel. I quit reading it about that point. The author is to slow to get to the point. He should have been more concerned with the details instead of just rushing to get it done. I might have actually finsihed it if that was the case. I still cannot believe that there are more books in this series. It is really mind blowing to me that people have been giving this such great reviews when in reality it was below a cheap read. If it was not for the review team wanting to have me review it, I would have just passed the book over. The fifteen percent I read was like pulling teeth.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I'm still working my way through it. I just reached the 50% mark and honestly, I thought that the story would be more complex considering the length. I feel like I'm trudging along.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Majikalone
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 552">It</a>
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majikalone.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Majikalone »

I'm reading it now, and while I like the subject and the author, it is a bit tedious. I am plodding through however, and will finish it! :D

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”