Would you want to be a vampire?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Would you want to be a vampire?

Post by rovet »

Based on Eric's experiences in "Nightlord", would you want to become a vampire if you were given the opportunity?

I was thinking about this when Eric is speaking to the magicians who want to study him, and he says that overall he had a positive experience as a vampire, but wouldn't recommend it. Slightly conflicting reply. In many ways it is pretty darn awesome - the crazy powers and strength. But the thing that would get to me would be the killing... so I would not want to be a vampire. What do you think?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

If it was possible to be a vampire, I would not want to be one. It's a life that is full of unnecessary death, stress, and just plain grossness. Another big issue is the loved ones that are left behind since they wouldn't live forever unless they were also turned. Being a vampire is unnatural and if given a choice, my answer would be 'no, thank you.'
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Tough call. On the one hand, you get all kinds of handy super powers, and can still go out during the day, as long as you're careful. On the other hand, the inevitable vampire hunter could be a pain to deal with. I would say, that if I had to be a vampire and could only choose what type, it would certainly be this one, if only because of the ability to be out during the day.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I agree with hsimone about all the reasons not to be a vampire. In your post you mention Eric's conflicting reply about having a positive experience but not recommending it. I find this to be very true to life. We often hear people say they love their career or had a great time doing something but wouldn't recommend it to others. How many times have we heard actors, sports stars or politicians say they wouldn't want their children to follow in their footsteps? Interesting.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

No, definitely would not want to be a vampire, even with an ethics code. There is a lot of responsibility with having all that power more than I would want to deal with. Killing and feeding on humans is not one bit appealing and I think the worst part is the immortality it is hard losing the ones you love and to have to do it over and over again, no thanks.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html

Post by rovet »

hsimone wrote:If it was possible to be a vampire, I would not want to be one. It's a life that is full of unnecessary death, stress, and just plain grossness. Another big issue is the loved ones that are left behind since they wouldn't live forever unless they were also turned. Being a vampire is unnatural and if given a choice, my answer would be 'no, thank you.'
I agree that it would be stressful, being responsible for people's death would be very stressful. Grossness I can handle. But, if you use the logic of Nightlord, where the vampire has an important job of helping people who are beyond saving and want to die find a peaceful death, then you can't really term it 'unnecessary death.' Granted, Eric loses control a few times and does kill people unnecessarily. But what if you lived in a super urban area where there are always a plethora of people who are suffering and wish to die, would that change your mind?

I totally agree with the whole immortality issue and leaving behind loved ones. I am surprised at how little Eric thinks of his family or seems to care that he will not see them again.

-- 08 Dec 2016, 23:47 --
Elaine5 wrote:I agree with hsimone about all the reasons not to be a vampire. In your post you mention Eric's conflicting reply about having a positive experience but not recommending it. I find this to be very true to life. We often hear people say they love their career or had a great time doing something but wouldn't recommend it to others. How many times have we heard actors, sports stars or politicians say they wouldn't want their children to follow in their footsteps? Interesting.
That's a very good point. Great analogy!
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I would not want to be a vampire. The idea of extraordinary strength, immortality, and special powers are intriguing, but the thought of having to drink blood and kill to survive do not appeal to me. I do find the idea of keeping some human traits as a Dayblood a neat twist. Daybloods can eat and drink as normal. I would miss real food!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

No way! I find the blood issue gross. Also Killing and feeding on humans is repulsive. The immortality is tempting, but it isn't really worth the price of leaving loved one behind.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

No.. Nothing about it is appealing to me. I would not want to outlive my children, drinking blood is disgusting (especially with all the diseases today), and I don't know if I could bring myself to hurt someone else for my own selfish needs.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
losingsleepoverbooks
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-losingsleepoverbooks.html

Post by losingsleepoverbooks »

I would not want to be a vampire because of the fact you would outlive everyone you love. I would not be able to deal with that. Everyone says drinking blood would gross them out but I think if you are a vampire you are driven by the need to drink blood and not repelled by it. I am definitely not saying drinking blood isn't gross because as a human, it is disgusting. Also, having supernatural powers would be fascinating. So, I guess the answer to your question is I don't know, there are cool things about being a vampire, but there are also drawbacks to it as well.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I'm a vegetarian so the though of living off human blood if repulsive. I also would not want to outlive my friends and family. The life of a vampire sounds lonely. I think they would be carrying a lot of guilt with them. Too much stress.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Oh my God! Absolutely not! Why would I want to be one? Scary!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Definitely not. The life of a vampire appears to be EXHAUSTING. Making sure you aren't in the light at certain times of day has to be difficult as well; I can't remember to start dinner much less to take cover!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

No, I would not want to be a vampire. I would not want to go through dying and coming back to life everyday. I also would not be ok with the killing to live part.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I've always thought that mankind is getting worse and worse the longer we're alive... I don't want any sort of immortality that would let me see just how bad we can get!

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”