You wake up as a vampire- do you panic or party?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Re: You wake up as a vampire- do you panic or party?

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I'd never drink, but if I turn into a vampire by some other way, let me be honest and say that I'd experience mixed feelings. I might get slightly frightened thinking about a whole new life of an entirely new dimension with apprehension. At the same time, I'd be thrilled thinking about all the magical possibilities like Twilight!
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

I've actually thought about this question a lot. There are a lot of upsides to being a vampire, depending on the stories and different theories you find most believable. Heightened senses, perfect vision, heightened reflexes, quick healing. Some stories even bring in shapeshifting, mind control, mind reading! The possibilities could be endless! Not to mention you could never die from aging. That would appeal to those that are afraid of death, or growing old.

The only one I would really have a problem with is never dying. Sure, living forever could be great. But outliving everyone you know would be really sad. Eventually, it would get boring, I think. You also have to drink blood to stay alive, and based off of Nightlord eventually you have to kill someone to keep yourself alive. My conscience probably wouldn't handle that very well.

If I woke up a vampire, I would probably party. See how much alcohol it takes to get drunk, if getting drunk is even possible. I'd push the limits of my new abilities, depending on what I get. I think it would be fun for a while! But once I outlived my family, I'd find a way to die. I wouldn't like being alone like that.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I don't know that I would panic, but it would be a shock. Then of course when I got over that I would do all kinds of crazy stuff. Every vampire story has that time in their long life that they just did what they wanted without think of the consequences
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I would panic. However, I would be able to read all the books I wouldn't have otherwise been able to.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I'd panic for a few minutes and then take it in stride the rest of the way, after learning of the specifics. The way a vampire was portrayed in the book, it sounds like a sweet (rather than sour) deal to be honest. Got to make full use of all of my new perks.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The drunken night wouldn't apply to me, but if I were to wake up with the realization that I was a vampire, I would definitely freak out. I have a child, and I can't imagine the heartbreak knowing that I would outlive my child.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Craftbunnie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftbunnie.html

Post by Craftbunnie »

While it my conversion would have to happen because of something besides alcohol, I think it would be something that after an initial freak out I would be excited about.
Getting over the initial shock to learn about what creature I am now might take some time, but I think that the fun of learning my new abilities and new world would be great fun. Moments of uncertainty are sure to happen, even break downs, but giving myself the ability to be someone that I am not at the current moment would be a great adventure.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I would be pretty excited to be a vampire! Eternal life and beauty, plus I can transform into my favorite animal! I might not be too keen on the whole murdering people thing, but if I could substitute human blood for animal, I think I would be okay. If any of my friends or family were interested, I'd bite them, too, so I could build a whole vampire gang.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

If it happens then I would like to clear all my doubts about vampires.And try to enjoy the rare experience as much as possible.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The sight of blood makes me a bit nauseous, so I'm not sure how I would handle that part...
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

If waking up a vampire means that I will be stronger, then I will totally be partying. If it meant I was constantly dead and craving blood, then I would be panicking.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

I would have to evaluate the situation. If I happened to wake up in this predicament tomorrow, I can't say that I would be wholly disappointed. There would be a whole new world to explore, new things to figure out. But I would also have to figure out how to live again, with an entirely new set of rules, which would be hard. I have always had a healthy appreciation for chaos, so I think I would be more okay with the situation that I should care to admit. I'm not one to party or panic, but I can say that my first inclination would not be to go on some bloodsucking, booze, and drug fueled bender, or whatever kinds of wild partying a fresh vampire 20-something might be inclined to participate in.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
moopichino
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moopichino.html

Post by moopichino »

It depends on what kind of vampire and what other vampires are around- like if my best friend was a vampire too, then I could get by. If i was "Nosferatu" style, I wouldn't be quite so thrilled, haha!
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I'm sure in time I'd come to manage it, so long as I could find a way to do so that didn't require murder, and so long as I didn't become a danger to my family, but most definitely it would be a struggle and my initial reaction would likely make 'panic' and understatement.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

Well, first I'd look in the mirror, and not be able to see myself. That would kind of suck, and would get me panicking. But as I got used to the enormous amount of special powers and such, I would probably end up having a blast. Being immortal could get boring, and it would suck to outlive the ones I love, but I dunno. My timeline would probably go something like this: Panic --> Party --> Boredom --> Party --> Panic --> Disco
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”