Basic "Facts" About Vampires

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Basic "Facts" About Vampires

Post by gali »

There are many legends about vampires. I like the fresh take on vampires here. One known "fact" about Vampires is that they burn in daylight. Eric only suffers some ill effect through Sunset and Sunrise, but can be exposed to daylight otherwise. What do you know about vampires and how does it apply here?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ooo...this is a good one.

I "know" that vampires need blood in order to survive. In many stories, it's the only thing they need and they get it by using their fangs to pierce the humans' necks to gain strength. In Nightlord, yes, Eric needs blood, but he doesn't necessarily need to puncture and/or kill people to get strength from them. He can use his 'tendrils' to take some human strength, which is kind of neat. He can just pass through a village and can use his 'tendrils' to take a little strength from many and just make humans sleepy.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I can't say how it applies to the book, but one of the original vampire "facts" was that they had to keep dirt from their homeland, to sleep in. That also brings to mind the whole coffin thing, which obviously does not apply here; that much I know from the sample :lol:

Also, the stake through the heart.

I look forward to reading more of this thread :D

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
csydc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by csydc »

Another fun fact!! Many people thought that children who had hair when they were born, or who had red hair were more likely to be vampires! :)
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

[quote="Gravy"]That also brings to mind the whole coffin thing[quote]

This made me laugh. Eric stays in body bags...a more portable version of a coffin. Other "facts" about vampires that I can remember from previous stories include that vampires make more of their own kind by feeding the convert their own blood. They are the "undead" and are immortal. Many vampires can transform into mist to move quickly. Vampires use mind control, and are very strong....and that is all that I can think of that has not already been mentioned.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Also, in the book, there are nightwalker vampires sand dayblood vampires like Eric.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another 'fact' is that vampires have super-human strength, so don't mess with them! Eric/Halar is definitely strong, which I believe he mentions often, but I'm remembering a couple of fighting scenes where he was a bit sore/tired afterwards. Then, that would contradict having super-human strength all of the time.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Some other very common elements related to vampires are their being repelled by a cross and physically harmed by holy water. Garlic is also supposed to deter them from coming around as well...but that could be just a taste preference. :roll: ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

hsimone wrote:Another 'fact' is that vampires have super-human strength, so don't mess with them! Eric/Halar is definitely strong, which I believe he mentions often, but I'm remembering a couple of fighting scenes where he was a bit sore/tired afterwards. Then, that would contradict having super-human strength all of the time.
His strength depends on which phase he is in. The living vampire phase during the day he just has enhance body strength. The dead phase at night is when he has super-human strength. That is how I took it.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Mind control. It's rare to find a vampire mythology where they don't have some sort of psychic talent, usually for subduing humans.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amcdanel86 wrote:
hsimone wrote:Another 'fact' is that vampires have super-human strength, so don't mess with them! Eric/Halar is definitely strong, which I believe he mentions often, but I'm remembering a couple of fighting scenes where he was a bit sore/tired afterwards. Then, that would contradict having super-human strength all of the time.
His strength depends on which phase he is in. The living vampire phase during the day he just has enhance body strength. The dead phase at night is when he has super-human strength. That is how I took it.
Very good point! This is very true and I forgot to mention it. I guess in this aspect this vampire 'fact' holds true to what we have known. Vampires go out at night, while stay hidden during the day. Eric/Halar doesn't doesn't necessarily stay hidden (except for a body bag for a while), but his strength is weakened compared to nighttime. Thank you. :)
Heidi

katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

hsimone wrote:Ooo...this is a good one.

I "know" that vampires need blood in order to survive. In many stories, it's the only thing they need and they get it by using their fangs to pierce the humans' necks to gain strength. In Nightlord, yes, Eric needs blood, but he doesn't necessarily need to puncture and/or kill people to get strength from them. He can use his 'tendrils' to take some human strength, which is kind of neat. He can just pass through a village and can use his 'tendrils' to take a little strength from many and just make humans sleepy.
I think Eric's tendril abilities is what makes this book so unique!
I know that in a lot of other vampire books, many vampires struggle when taking blood/energy from humans. Especially newly bitten/formed vampires. A big part of their training to be a vampire is to take enough to satisfy their bloodlust without killing their victim.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Gravy wrote:Mind control. It's rare to find a vampire mythology where they don't have some sort of psychic talent, usually for subduing humans.
That was most definitely emphasized in the original Dracula with Bela Lugosi using the close ups and eerie lighting effects. It was actually done very nicely and worked in the movie quite well.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I am enjoying that this book pays attention to many vampire stories, then works around them in some way. Blood drinking? Yes, but only at night, and not all the time. Mind control? Tendrils to "eat" certain aspects of the mind to get the desired effect. Vulnerability to holy stuff? Holy/light magic. No crossing running water? Sinks like a stone. Old legends with new attributes are interesting when done right.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

I did a quick Google search on why vampires can't be in the daylight. Their eyes are hyperdilated, so the sun hurts their eyes. The sun also causes epileptic fits because of a neural passageway in their brain. It's interesting how thorough these myths and legends are!

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”