Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post Number:#196 by comeunsanto
» 04 Jan 2017, 14:48

I don't necessarily prefer vampire stories. However, I do believe that every once in a while there are fresh takes on vampires. When a vampire or their stories are not conventional or overly fantastic then I think it can be fun.
comeunsanto

Bookshelf Size: 1 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#197 by TrebledLiberace
» 04 Jan 2017, 14:55

Vampire stories are perhaps my favorite including the cheesy ones. I mean I grew up on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. There's something fascinating about being able to see how each author adapts their stories and changes them up so they're not all similar.
TrebledLiberace

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#198 by K_laleanne
» 04 Jan 2017, 15:05

Too cliché and over done
K_laleanne

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#199 by James Craft
» 05 Jan 2017, 15:18

They can be amazing, but sometimes there are just so many it is hard to keep up.
James Craft

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#200 by erasmus
» 06 Jan 2017, 11:14

James Craft wrote:They can be amazing, but sometimes there are just so many it is hard to keep up.

Now that is something I can agree with.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#201 by Mbarnes
» 06 Jan 2017, 11:24

I can normally make it through vampire books. This one on the other hand was terrible. I could not make it through it. According to my kindle I only made it about fifteen percent through it before I called it a wash. It was to much filler spots to where he could have just gotten to the point of things. The time travel is where I lost what little interest I still had in the book. I have read many other vampire books and this is probably the worst one that I have read. I thought it might be different because of the reviews on Amazon. I was sadly mistaken. I only gave it one star in my review.
Mbarnes

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 48 Books
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#202 by Lady Countryrose
» 06 Jan 2017, 16:31

There are too many vampire stories out there, but I guess I am getting tired about it. I have see more YA genre for them. But I think it's because it is a supsotuet for sex, violence, and drugs. It has become a new kind of drug for teenagers. Reading about Vampires.
Lady Countryrose

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#203 by Insightsintobooks
» 10 Jan 2017, 23:05

I read a lot of vampire tales. I've read Dracula, Anne Rice, and the Twilight Series in addition to Nightlord. I like the different perspectives that authors can take on vampires and their stories.
Insightsintobooks's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Insightsintobooks

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#204 by mewsmash
» 16 Jan 2017, 09:42

I'm definitely not a big fan of vampire stories. They all seem like the same story, copy and pasted over new character names and maybe one or two new love triangles. They certainly aren't scary, either.
mewsmash's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash

Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#205 by cjohns105
» 16 Jan 2017, 16:07

I think that there are some questions that are as timeless as the creatures themselves. There are so many angles to be explored for some questions, like how something can retain its value when you have it in an unlimited quantity, wherein the perspective of a vampire serves as the ideal conduit. That being said, there are certainly more than a few authors who choose not to dig into the psychology of the whole thing, choosing instead to relay on the romanticism of these creatures of the night. The latter group of authors are the ones that I am becoming quite tired of. So, I think my answer ends up being something along the lines of "Vampire stories can be valuable when done right, but those not done right have become overrated and boring, to be frank."
cjohns105

Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#206 by Corybarclay
» 22 Jan 2017, 05:12

I think if you can come up with something original, then that's fine. But in the present day the vampire trope is pretty overused and cliche at this point. I know they say that you can never come up with anything original, that everything's been done before, but all of these romance-vampire stories make me yawn, to be honest. I think Stephanie Meyer covered that idea pretty well (although Anne Rice perfected it--let's be real). We should go back to the Bram Stoker-type vampire stories, if anything. >:)
Corybarclay

Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#207 by dosenron877
» 22 Jan 2017, 21:10

I have never been a fan of them considering them to be one story told many times. This one is different in three ways. First, there is a lot of dry, understated humor as Eric evaluates himself as he is going through changes. Second, primarily from the point of view of Eric but also occasionally Sasha, the description of processes that occur when tendrils are deployed is something I have never seen. Third, there is a description of the purpose of a vampire, a purpose that seems almost a necessary duty for the good of the world. These three things alone, and these are only from the sample, make this book different from others in the genre.
dosenron877's Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
dosenron877

Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 438 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#208 by kimmyschemy06
» 23 Jan 2017, 07:06

I read Bram Stoker's Dracula and it scared me. Then, I read Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire and I think it was kind of cool. Then I read Twilight and I think had enough :) because when I started House of Night I was not able to finish the entire series. But I think this book might rekindle my interest in vampires :)
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "The Seer" by JD Stanley
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Me!
Bookshelf Size: 306 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#209 by noorsawhney
» 23 Jan 2017, 13:12

I have started reading two vampire stories that I can remember: Twilight and another one I've forgotten the name of. The vampire plot in Twilight was actually quite well dealt with and intrigued me, but unfortunately I found the writing of the book rather terrible and abandoned it half way through. The other book was much darker but due to the bad writing (again) and the equally bad portrayal of vampires I also stopped reading that one. I'm not sure if it was those two books in particular but I've still been wary of reading vampire stories since then.
noorsawhney's Latest Review: "Between Two Fires" by Toni Williams
noorsawhney

Currently Reading: The Aeneid English
Bookshelf Size: 158 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#210 by Mune
» 24 Jan 2017, 20:21

Vampires are one factor of many that will be used again and again. I see it as another color on a writer's palette. You have war, murder, vampires, witches, love triangles, government conspiracies, shape shifters, murderers, dragons, animals, and on and on. The stickler is how you use the color.

I love a good vampire book. My first was Bram Stoker's Dracula followed by Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I have read the Twilight series, the Marked series, Blue Bloods, Vampire Academy, Anita Blake series, the Shadow Hunter series, the Dark Hunter series, and on and on. Stand-alones and series, YA and adult, romance and horror. My favorite are the books that are either highly traditional and based on old mythology or something with a modern twist. I really enjoy anything that explains vampirism in scientific terms (Shadow of the Night).

If done right, and not copying a storyline from the plethora of vampire books on the market, a vampire story is just as good as any other story with the components I enjoy.
Mune

Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 965 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 5%

PreviousNext