What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nightlord: Sunset has taken a new look and twist on vampires.

What are your thoughts about vampire stories? Are they old and redundant? Or are there other angles that authors can take these timeless creatures?

Have you read vampire book(s) that you thought of as unique and/or refreshing? Can you share?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

Definitely depends on the vampire story. I've read Dracula as well as books like Twilight, and I have to say if it's well-written and interesting, I'll give any of them a shot. Dracula is old school for sure, but still good. I read all of the Twilight series because of how much everyone else seemed to like it, and I found myself extremely disappointed. Anne Rice's books are good and more true to the vampire nature, but I find her books harder to read for my enjoyment. A new take on vampires that I enjoyed were the Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead. It was definitely interesting and different. Personally, I like my vampires closer to their nature, but I don't like them to be completely mindless blood-sucking monsters either.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I used to read a lot of vampires tales. Now I don't read that many vampires books, as I have grown tired of the genre. I will read such books only if the premise sounds fresh and intriguing. I read and liked books such as "Twilight", "The Passage" and others. I find this story very original and I love the new take on vampires.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

I love Vampire stories....cut my teeth on Bramstoker,, devoured Anne Rice...tried twilight series and did not like them so kind of gave it a break. However, I am loving Knightlord: Sunset...introducing different species of Vampires, loving it...Vampire with a code of ethics...love it...I really am enjoying this book...just enough humor and sarcasm to take off the dark edge...I am about half way through and it is really hard not to write spoilers...great book Garon Whited.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Lestat began my love of vampires, and I've read a lot in the genre, though mainly paranormal romance and urban fantasy.
Nalini Singh created one of the more "out-there" vampire mythologies. Angels create vampires. In her world, angels aren't Devine, and are just a superior race of beings.

Twilight was very genre bending, and I find it sad that people can't just appreciate that :(

I do believe that there are ways the myth can be tweaked and twisted. Authors do it all the time, even when they're not the main focus of a series. Kim Harrison's Hollows series, or Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
And even done traditionally, given an intriguing story, they can be worth reading.

I'm actually reading Carmilla right now. I'm enjoying the different classic interpretations of the vampire :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

hsimone wrote:Nightlord: Sunset has taken a new look and twist on vampires.

What are your thoughts about vampire stories? Are they old and redundant? Or are there other angles that authors can take these timeless creatures?

Have you read vampire book(s) that you thought of as unique and/or refreshing? Can you share?
I have read many books that include vampire lore and for the most part I am always intrigued and entertained. Some of my favorites include the Carpathian Novels by Christine Feehan and the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward. I am not sure exactly what it is that so fascinates readers about vampires. Is it the possibility of immortality or powers beyond those capable of humans? In the BDB series, the aspect of vampires fighting for existence against another race of undead, the lessers, makes for interesting reading. The bonding, the troubles that vampires have reproducing, the need to feed...the list goes on. Vampires as fictional characters are timeless and I believe the genre will continue to draw readers in droves. As to Nightlord: Sunset , Eric makes for a funny and quirky vampire in training. I look forward to seeing how the story progresses. The abilities to send out feelers or tendrils of awareness is a unique twist and the siphoning off of life essence an interesting way to feed. I have only finished about a third of the story and look forward to more adventures.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Oh no! I hope they're not viewed as redundant; I love them, and there are so many different ways you can write about them. This story was unique in my opinion.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm not sure vampires will ever fall into the redundant file, at least not for a significant portion of readers (or watchers). They tick a lot of boxes. Immortality, imperviousness, the personification of the darker side of human nature. Whether the protagonist is the vampire or the victim, I believe it provides something to the psyche, even if we're unaware of it.
Otherwise, I don't think it would be nearly as universal as it is.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Gravy wrote:I'm not sure vampires will ever fall into the redundant file, at least not for a significant portion of readers (or watchers). They tick a lot of boxes. Immortality, imperviousness, the personification of the darker side of human nature. Whether the protagonist is the vampire or the victim, I believe it provides something to the psyche, even if we're unaware of it.
Otherwise, I don't think it would be nearly as universal as it is.
That's good to hear! Book-3 in my series is a vampire tale! Lol!
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I guess it would depend on the author and how they depict the vampire. I think that the best author for this has been Anne Rice. I did like the TruBlood ones though too!
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I've always enjoyed vampire novels, but it really depends on the author and the type of vampire story. I loved the Twilight series, but couldn't get into the novels by Anne Rice. I really enjoy "A Shade of Vampire" by Bella Forrest. I tend to gravitate towards the ones with romance in them and not the traditional blood-sucking, creature of the night theme. "Nightlord" has been a unique one that I've enjoyed also. I'm glad it was Book of the Month so I'd give it a try?
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by ramblinggnomes »

There is something about vampires that just captures everyone's imagination. They never grow old, they have their waves of popularity but it never ends. As others have mentioned, I also loved Bram Stoker and Anne Rice but Twilight made me grit my teeth and vow never to read another vampire book again.
That was until Nightlord. When it was the book of the day, I tried to download the sample but I something have problems with me being in the UK, the offers are different so I just went ahead and download the whole book as it was ridiculously cheap.
I started it this morning and I can't put it down. It's a very different approach and I love the level-headed, scientific approach that's happening at the moment. I'm not sure where it's going though!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

L.A. Banks served this genre best, hands down! The Vampire Huntress Series.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I think that out of all supernatural creatures, vampires are the first to come to mind. Because their lore is not set in stone (and authors are not afraid to add their own lore as well) I'm reluctant to read vampire novels because I'm not sure exactly what make it a "vampire" novel. Many vampires in YA novels nowadays are more superhuman than bloodthirsty living dead. I prefer scary, dangerous monsters over handsome superhumans any day.
caliwagon18
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caliwagon18.html

Post by caliwagon18 »

I have read a lot of different vampire stories, mainly in the young adult genre (which may be why I have issue), and I really feel that they are overdone, too similar to one another, and too cliche. The books and series I have read about vampires have almost all focused too much on the love and romantic relationships in the books. It almost felt like I was just reading the same book over and over. I think they could be great, if they found a new focus rather than romance.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”