What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Dolph_92
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolph-92.html

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by Dolph_92 »

I love Brian Lumley's series, Necroscope. There are about 12, I think. It's more of a horror series, not romance. I've read my fair share of vampire romance too.
leeannml
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeannml.html

Post by leeannml »

I don't mind a well written vampire book as long as it's not the same old song and dance. I do have a tendency of liking a books that are more about immortals, that may be where the vampire legend came from. recently found an interesting book; about becoming Immortal; The change by Teyla Branton. While I realize it's not the same genre I tend to lean towards these books.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I love Anne Rice's vampire novels, in my opinion they were the last of the truly original vampire stories. Most modern vampire stories I have read steal plot/mythology from the older stories. Much more plot sucking than blood sucking going on in today's books!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
rainbow08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainbow08.html

Post by rainbow08 »

It depends on the story. I am not fond of reading vampire novels though, but I think vampires are the most sophisticated and good looking monsters. They never grow old, they wear black suit and tie, hair well combed and women vampire are gorgeous and alluring. They can fly, they can move really fast and they are super strong.The setting most of the time is very old fashioned. I enjoyed Twilight and Hotel Transylvania.
Chesstom

Post by Chesstom »

I love Vampire stories....cut my teeth on Bramstoker,, devoured Anne Rice...tried twilight series and did not like them so kind of gave it a break. However, I am loving Knightlord: Sunset...introducing different species of Vampires, loving it...Vampire with a code of ethics...love it...I really am enjoying this book...just enough humor and sarcasm to take off the dark edge...I am about half way through and it is really hard not to write spoilers...great book Garon Whited.
MayInAugust
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayinaugust.html

Post by MayInAugust »

This question is not really easy to answer. It's not possible to say that all the Vampire Stories are bad/good, because for me it always depends on the author, the way he/she writes and what the story is about. I read a couple of Vampire books, because I always loved Fantasy stuff. So the first Vampire books I've ever read were the books from the Twilight Series.These books are absolutely well written and good to dive in and forget everything else. But I've also read Vampire books that were horrible. So, I can't really give an answer in generell, but I like Vampire books, because they kind of bring up a new idea of existence, which is pretty cool to think about. Only if the books are really unrealistically written it's hard to get into the theme and to read fluently.

-- 31 Dec 2016, 01:00 --

This question is not really easy to answer. It's not possible to say that all the Vampire Stories are bad/good, because for me it always depends on the author, the way he/she writes and what the story is about. I read a couple of Vampire books, because I always loved Fantasy stuff. So the first Vampire books I've ever read were the books from the Twilight Series.These books are absolutely well written and good to dive in and forget everything else. But I've also read Vampire books that were horrible. So, I can't really give an answer in generell, but I like Vampire books, because they kind of bring up a new idea of existence, which is pretty cool to think about. Only if the books are really unrealistically written it's hard to get into the theme and to read fluently.
Timbets
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timbets.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Timbets »

I have only read one vampire series and that was the Twilight Saga Series when it first came out. I really enjoyed them because it was something different for me to read at the time. However, I was disappointed to see that when shortly after it was released and the movie more vampire tv shows and books came about. I felt as though it was being copied. It kind of ruined the whole thing for me.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

Great question! Vampire stories have a very negative connotation right now, and that's almost certainly due to the rise of them in the late 2000s. You couldn't go into a bookstore without being bombarded with vampires, and I think that really turned people off. But it shouldn't.

Vampires are really incredible monsters. And I think they don't have to be written a specific way to work, though some work better than others. While I love Bram Stoker's Dracula, I also really enjoy more modern interpretations of them. Beautiful but dangerous. The concept that if they are a vampire, are they a monster? Are they soulless? Have they always been this way, or is there hope for redemption? It's one of the appealing things about this particular monster, because we all want to believe that redemption is possible, and that question almost always surrounds vampires.

For me, hearing that a novel or film has vampires in it is more likely to turn me onto it rather than off.
Amanda89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda89.html

Post by Amanda89 »

I like a well written vampire story. However some authors need to learn to write better.
Booker Ashley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booker-ashley.html

Post by Booker Ashley »

It really depends. Some vampire stories have their facts wrong so it does get confusing but others have just enough super and enough natural to make for a great story.
Kendrareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrareads.html

Post by Kendrareads »

Not my cup of tea. Prefer books that could maybe really have a chance of happening.
Youayuna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youayuna.html

Post by Youayuna »

It can really depend on how they are done. Most of the ones I have read so far, I've liked. I like the mystery and power of vampires.

-- 31 Dec 2016, 15:13 --

It can really depend on how they are done. Most of the ones I have read so far, I've liked. I like the mystery and power of vampires.
jdinopks

Post by jdinopks »

I don't normally choose a book based on the topic being about vampires.
I did read the Twilight series, because I read an excerpt and liked the writing style.
The fact that it was about vampires wasn't a factor, I just wanted to learn more about the characters and location because I loved the way they were described.
mel345
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by mel345 »

I love vampire stories! Some of my favorites are from Gerry Bartlett, Robyn Peterman and MaryJanice Davidson. They are funny with some intrigue.
Kathryn Birchfield
Currently Reading:

Post by Kathryn Birchfield »

I love vampire lore. I think that whether vampire stories are good or bad completely depends on the author. How it is written is a big deal but also the stance they take on vampires. One thing I loved about Stephanie Meyer's take on vampires was that she took from real native lore. A lot of research on old thoughts on vampires. I love life and being able to weave that in to a fictional tale was really intriguing! For me there really isn't an in between for vampire stories they are either a hit or a miss.
Last edited by Kathryn Birchfield on 31 Dec 2016, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”