What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
jnp8812
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by jnp8812 »

Vampire stories... I love them. There are so many different ways that the vampire can be used within the story and I find it makes the book all the more unique. You can have the classic scary vampire stories, love stories, like Twilight, or you can have a combination of the two, like Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. (My personal favorite). Richelle Mead added a fun spin on vampires that includes two different types: the standard inhuman blood thirsty beast and the almost human type with the affinity for magic. I find it fun to unravel the mystery of how this author will create the "standard" vampire image or if that author will make up their own rules.
BarbaraBrien
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by BarbaraBrien »

As with any genre or piece of fiction, I find the author's skill and a good plot make a book readable.
tempebrown
Currently Reading: Escaping Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 131

Post by tempebrown »

I'm not a big fan of vampire stories. I'd rather read about political blood suckers. LOL
habibimc17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habibimc17.html

Post by habibimc17 »

When it comes to themes that have been used many times over, I believe that any vampire story can be a gem, it just depends on what makes it unique. I've read the classic Dracula, as well as the series Twilight and The Chronicles Of Vladmir Tod. It all depends on the setting, the characters and how they are developed, and the story line in general. Whether it be modern, classic, romantic or science fiction, the author's incorporation of new and refreshing genres into the vampire story timeline is what makes it memorable. Currently my favorite vampire series is The Chronicles of Vladmir Tod, but that may change as I age, anyway, I hope this answers your question.
mcruz331
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcruz331.html

Post by mcruz331 »

Once upon a time in high school I would read nothing but Vampire Stories once I read Twilight (way before the movies came out) I literally could not get enough. It was like I had replaced (for a short time) my obsession for the next Harry Potter book for anything remotely vampire and romance. I have since outgrew that stage and honestly try to stay clear of anything with vampires in it. This is not to say that I would not pick up a book if it was done differently or with a never been seen before twist in it. I almost hope for other supernatural beings to become the next big thing that way I can get a break from vampires and werewolves for once.
drewsadinosaur
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drewsadinosaur.html

Post by drewsadinosaur »

I personally think vampires are really cheesy. A lot of the young adult novels and TV shows ruined them. They made vampires sparkly and whiny. I think the idea of vampires as a whole is neat though. It's interesting to consider characters that aren't real but are close to being human. I do enjoy imitating Dracula and trying to say "Good Evening" with his drawl.

My favorite portrayal of vampires is that they can turn into bats. For some reason, I really like bats. They're cute and creepy at the time.
Nren

Post by Nren »

Vampire stories are the sort of stories that appeal to any reader of fantasy and paranormal books, however they have been so overdone at this point I have found that it is difficult for me to get into them unless they have a very novel and interesting spin on the subject of vampires, have very intriguing or mysterious characters, or are extremely well written. Twilight was one of the first vampire stories I enjoyed. Since then I found myself able to enjoy Vampire Academy books, and books from the Captive series, perhaps because I have always struggled to resist very strong female leads. Otherwise, my preference is for stories that have "less done" paranormal elements--Trolls, mermaids, faeries, mythological creatures or creatures rooted in little known folklore.
sullivan + 2

Post by sullivan + 2 »

I read the Dracula book by Stroker and devoured the Anne Rice books. Right now i prefer books with vampires,ghosts and other creatures all interacting together.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Nren wrote:Vampire stories are the sort of stories that appeal to any reader of fantasy and paranormal books, however they have been so overdone at this point I have found that it is difficult for me to get into them unless they have a very novel and interesting spin on the subject of vampires, have very intriguing or mysterious characters, or are extremely well written. Twilight was one of the first vampire stories I enjoyed. Since then I found myself able to enjoy Vampire Academy books, and books from the Captive series, perhaps because I have always struggled to resist very strong female leads. Otherwise, my preference is for stories that have "less done" paranormal elements--Trolls, mermaids, faeries, mythological creatures or creatures rooted in little known folklore.
@"Nren"
Have you read Seanan McGuire's October Daye series?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sammy Slick187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-slick187.html

Post by Sammy Slick187 »

I agree that the romance between the mortal and immortal has definitely been a little played out. However if I can watch a million different zombie movies I am sure I can read a million different vampire books. All it needs is a different twist. It's always interesting to see an authors portrayal on what they feel like a vampire is.
Anna500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna500.html

Post by Anna500 »

I love vampire stories, but I have to admit it feels like most of the stories tend to lean more towards the old legends and tales, the stories that offer a new twist to the genre are my favorites.
konnapap
Currently Reading: ethan frome
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konnapap.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by konnapap »

I have to admit that it really depends on the vampire story. I rather prefer the scary vampire novels, such as Salem's Lot to Twilight, or other YA novels.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Kwatson13

Post by Kwatson13 »

From Nosferatu to Bram Stoker's Dracula, Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire to Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries, I adore reading vampire fiction and watching vampire TV shows and movies. I'm addicted to the TV show Wynonna Earp partly for the vampire characters.
JLW_1of5

Post by JLW_1of5 »

I've not read the book under discussion, but it does depend on how the author handles the genre. I think the most original treatment for me was reading Christine Feehan's "Dark" series. A race of nearly immortal beings that survive on blood as adults. A dwindling female population leaves the males struggling to hold on to their values. Without the female that is their life mate, they risk losing themselves in the "high" of feeding. When this happens they turn vampire and there is no way back from that. There are several books in the series, each dealing with a different character. I've seen Twilight, read the series, Dracula (a few versions), and other books in the genre. I've strayed away in favor of shapeshifters, but still enjoy the occasional read.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great topic!! I find the idea of vampire stories is overdone and many times redundant. However, I am not opposed to reading them. I think what really sets a new vampire story apart for me is the character development and the conflict the author creates around the fact that certain characters are vampires. In this day and age, it's difficult to come up with a "new twist" related to vampires; however, I still think a new book about vampires can be really good!

Very interesting topic! I enjoyed reading many of the responses :)

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”