Overall Rating and Opinion of Nightlord

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Overall Rating and Opinion of Nightlord

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord: Sunset.

What is you overall opinion of Nightlord: Sunset? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the the book's page on Bookshelves.

-- 02 Dec 2016, 11:14 --

I actually just finished this book, and I wasn't one that loved it, so I'm curious to see what others think!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I loved this book! It was my vote for best book of 2016! I thought, that even though it's a long read; Eric is a lovable sort, and I thoroughly enjoyed tagging along on his journey. I rate this one 4/4!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:I loved this book! It was my vote for best book of 2016! I thought, that even though it's a long read; Eric is a lovable sort, and I thoroughly enjoyed tagging along on his journey. I rate this one 4/4!
Wow, that's awesome! Yeah, I think I might be the odd one out here. I've seen other people's reviews (outside of here) who had similar feelings as me, but there are many who did enjoy this one. I'm glad that you were one of them!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I just finished the book and I too loved it. I enjoyed the magical powers, the demigods, and the mythology. I also enjoyed the many interesting characters that we were introduced to throughout Eric/Halar's travels. I must admit I was disappointed with the ending. I hate cliff hangers! I much prefer a stand alone book even if the book is part of a series. I will have to read the other books. This ending provides absolutely no closure or sense of what will happen in the future. I suppose that is the mark of a good author. I want to know if Tamara has her babies. I want to know if Halar recovers and what the future of the world will be. So many questions!! I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars! Damn Whited for hooking me!
Last edited by Jennifer Allsbrook on 13 Dec 2016, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I just finished the book and I too loved it. I enjoyed the magical powers, the demigods, and the mythology. I also enjoyed the many interesting characters that we were introduced to throughout Eric/Halar's travels. I must admit I was disappointed with the ending. I hate cliff hangers! I much prefer a stand alone book even if the book is part of a series. I will have to read the other books. This ending provides absolutely no closer or sense of what will happen in the future. I suppose that is the mark of a good author. I want to know if Tamara has her babies. I want to know if Halar recovers and what the future of the world will be. So many questions!! I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars! Damn Whited for hooking me!
I have all 3 books. Cliffhangers don't bother me; they just make me excited for future books, unless there are no other books. ?
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Personally, I'd give it a 3/4. It was fun, and knew when to to humor and when not to use it. It made effective alterations to old myths and brought new life to them. The story and characters were good, and it did a good job of showing us the world. It was not without its problems though. There were times when details were added at odd times, and the story could sometimes feel like it was taking too much time out to do something unnecessary towards the completion of the story. It's a fine book, but hey, nothing's perfect.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
tam0708
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tam0708.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by tam0708 »

With being nearly 700 pages, I opted to do the audio version of the book. This way I could do other things while listening to it. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. Eric was a good character and he could be funny but there were times I thought it dragged and may have had some unnecessary parts. You knew it was building up to him facing off with Tobias but at the same time it felt he would get off track. Not that it wasn't enjoyable especially the way he tried to remain as human as possible even though he was a vampire.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

It's a 3 out of 4 stars for me. I like a lot of things about this book, and one of my favorites is the world building. In the world Eric travels to, there are magicians, wizards, magical beings, dark creatures, and religion. The author crafts a world full of beings and life that sparks imagination, though sometimes I feel that there are too many words that give a big picture but little in the way of details. I hope that the next book will be focused on some aspects instead of scattering the reader's attention all over the world.

Personally, 'Nightlord: Sunset' reminds me a lot of the particular plot device from Japanese light novels in which a protagonist from the 21st century gets reincarnated/summoned into a fantasy world as a super-powered being. Said being is then either feared, revered, or put on some villain's to-kill list. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - I happen to like reading stuff like this. That said, YMMV. There are some minor typos in the e-book I purchased, but fortunately, it doesn't have too much of an impact on the overall reading experience.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

There prose is fairly good, but I felt all of the characters needed more development. I almost stopped reading after Eric kills his first victim. He seemed entirely too okay with killing - there didn't seem to be any struggle with the idea of feeding off people.

There's also several parts where the narrative gets bogged down with detail, and too much telling where there could have been showing. I felt like I was reading the second-last draft of a good novel - it needed one more editing run-through to pare down unneeded details, adjectives, and adverbs.

If I rated it against other independent novels, I'd give it a very high rating. It is well-written and interesting, and it has a great cover to boot (which, sadly, is a lot more than I can say for most independent books). It has a fair number of shortcomings, so I had to rate it 3/4 - but as a debut and the beginning of a series, I think it's pretty good.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with a lot of what has previously been said about this book. I think I would also give "Sunset" 3 out of 4 stars. It was a fun, easy read, but I felt it dragged at times and some characters were not as well developed as they could have been or tended to do things that didn't go along with their previous characterization. I would recommend this book to others, but I'm not sure if I will continue with this series.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

hsimone wrote:This is a discussion topic for the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord: Sunset.

What is you overall opinion of Nightlord: Sunset? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the the book's page on Bookshelves.
I surprised myself and enjoyed it. I don't think of vampires (or any stories in the fantasy realm) as being in my typical realm of likable genres but I'm trying to be more open minded and am expanding my horizons by at least trying new things. Book of the month helps with that attempt. I rate this story 3 out of 4 stars. I found myself continuously second guessing what was going to happen next. I was often surprised at the creativity of the author. At times, though, I found some of the "fight" scenes drawn out. Especially the last scenes, with the battle at the "edge of the world". It was just too long. I am likely to recommend the book to others, as I do think the story-line keeps the reader engaged and wondering about the realms of magic and wizardry. I'm almost at the point where I think anything is possible!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I like the book. I like the magical aspect of it. I liked that the author add all sorts of creatures to it. What I didn't like the ending. I would recommend it to someone else who like wizard books. I rate this book a 4
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I have it a 3 out of 4. I absolutely loved the book. The author out his own twist on as lot of vampire myths. The world a And characters were well drawn. I do wish that this book has been sold to a major publisher, so that the author would have had the benefit of a trained editor. The book was very long and should have been tightened up. There were also a few inconsistencies that an editor would have noticed.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

You aren't the only one who wasn't crazy about it! There were certain parts I really loved, don't get me wrong. I thought Whited's interpretation of vampires was wonderfully intriguing. It isn't often I see the existence of vampires given a specific purpose, and the fact that he did so was something I really had to applaud. But I found many typos and errors in the book, and I didn't particularly enjoy Eric. He was pretty repetitive and I found him to be a bit sexist, and that always makes a book hard for me to get through. Nightlord definitely wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, either.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I gave it a 3 out of 4. The world-building is good and the characters are interesting. There were a lot of editing issues and the story dragged every time Halar had to start over. I really liked the ending because the momentum really picked up and just kept going finally.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”