Review by BethanyBain -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BethanyBain
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethanybain.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Review by BethanyBain -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by BethanyBain »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socksis one of two books in Len Foley’s career. Judging from this book only; hopefully it’ll be his last.

When I saw the book and judged the topic based on cover and description, I thought that this would be a cute children’s book that focused on the importance of keeping yourself clean and let me tell you, it was the exact opposite of that. The book was absolutely disgusting and should in no way be read to a child.

The book has no lesson for kids to learn, no substance and is just flat out rude song as a result has nothing I am looking for in a children’s book. My issue here goes while beyond the offensive imagery such as his toddler sister using the page “too clean her dirty diaper.” While I understand the irony the author is trying to portray about kids and their funny ways of thinking it is extremely misleading to sell as a children’s book. The message it sends to young kids is that it's okay to store dirty laundry and old food in a secret pile under your bed you can clean it in the toilet. Not something I’d want to teach my two year old nephew nor any other kid I may encounter in my life.
My hope is that it wasn’t Foley’s intention to release this book as a legitimate children’s book I am going to recommend that nobody read it for any reason. No child needs think any part of this book is okay to do or otherwise joke about.

I am amazed that it is being sold as a “hilarious children’s book.” The offensive descriptions and imageries is enough to make me want to gag. Advocating for filth and encouraging less than sanitary ways to clean up a mess may be funny to some; though I can’t image who, I don’t think it is something that people should be reading to children.

Most children’s books are meant to each a lesson and while the author had a very good opportunity to teach a lesson about cleanliness he didn’t. A children’s book without a thought out lesson is not something that I personally feel is valuable to a child's life.

I would not recommend this book and my official rating of Len Foley’s Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is 1 out of 4 stars because I feel that it doesn’t hold an. Value as a children’s book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BethanyBain's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your honest comments about this book. Seems like people either love or hate this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”