Review by LorJones4 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LorJones4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorjones4.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Review by LorJones4 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by LorJones4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Diary Of A Snoopy Cat written by R.F. Kristi and illustrated by Jorje Valle is a fictional children’s book about a cat named Inca and his wish to become a famous cat detective. Inca lives in a house with his family, his brother and sister cat, a hamster and his human mom and aunt that Inca calls humanoids. Inca decided to keep a diary to record his successful detective adventures. He was sure he was going to become a celebrity and his “snoopy adventures” would make him famous. When Inca’s best friends went on a detective adventure of their own, Inca was left to solve the mystery of a missing Will which, would determine the rightful owner of the house down the street. Inca began his detective work with his family and friends there to help him solve the case and add yet another successful story to his diary.

The Diary Of A Snoopy Cat is a cute story with fun loving, colorful characters. It is written in a way that makes the characters seem likeable and familiar. However, there are so many characters in the story that it is hard to keep track of all of them and they can be a little bit confusing, especially for young readers. I had to re-read several of the sentences to figure out who was who and how they related to what was going on in the story. In the beginning of the story there was an illustration of Inca’s family tree, which helped the reader visualize Inca’s family members. If there were more, simple diagrams showing how each character was connected to Inca and the story, it might help simplify the characters and their roles.

I found the writing to be awkward at times. This may be because the author is familiar with British terms and I am an American so what might seem awkward to me, may not be for someone who is British. For example, the use of the word spoilt is common in British language but in English, the word spoiled would be used. There were other awkward sentences, which might be attributed to the British versus English dialogue. I also felt that some sentences were choppy, unnecessary and/or interrupted the flow of the story line.

The themes of friendship, family, helping and caring for your friends and community are relatable and apparent through out the story also contributing to the fondness the reader develops for Inca and the other characters. The illustrations of The Diary Of A Snoopy Cat are adorable and add to the overall likeability of the characters and the story and as I mentioned previously, additional illustrations would be helpful in understanding the many characters.

Given the sweet story line and the expressive, adorable illustrations, I give The Diary Of A Snoopy Cat 2 out of 4 stars. I thought the characters were likeable and cute and the general story line was fun, but some of the choppy sentences and confusing characters led to my rating.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LorJones4's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”