Review by Harrygx3 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Review by Harrygx3 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Harrygx3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is a paranormal thriller, with Hollywood-style action and horror elements, that will be loved by the fans of the genre. It is the first out of the three books in the "World on Fire" series. Throughout the story, the theme of good versus evil is prominent and makes the reader think what they would do if they were in that position. The book starts by taking us to a high-security prison where a former reverend, called Arthur, is imprisoned. He has flashbacks of his troubled past and tortures himself as a form of exaltation. One day he receives an unexpected visit from a mysterious woman called Frieda. She wants to ask for his help after one of her demon-hunting squads goes missing, but he initially refuses. After he learns that Abigail, a girl he had rescued and adopted, was in that squad, he agrees and sets out to find her. Abigail is a skilled demon-hunter who has undertaken a mission of grave importance. Will Abigail and Arthur complete their missions despite the great sacrifices they may have to endure?

The book has numerous positives that make it a worthwhile read. The author has written it in such a way that makes you to pleasantly anticipate what will happen next. This is coupled with a gradual and lovely maturity of the main characters. The story is fast-paced, filled with lots of action, yet the horror elements are present. Aside from these good traits, which are characteristics of a smart writer; the best thing about the whole story is that even though it has the God versus Demons theme, it doesn't project the idea that religion alone makes you a good person. The story demonstrates that labels, either good or bad, don't define your value but you do with the result of your actions.

The negatives are minor but they may annoy some people. It has some typos here and there which overall don't affect the meaning conveyed. The story reads a bit weird at some points but the meaning can easily be concluded. A couple of battles seemed unrealistic and that broke my immersion at the moment. The demons were really talkative and they don't sound smart or hard to outwit them.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars for its engaging and thoughtfully written story. I didn't give it 4 stars because it needs more proofreading before it can be called perfect. I would definitely recommend it to thriller fans that want a quick and enjoyable read with a bit of horror. I wouldn't recommend it to those that don't like descriptions containing gore and violence.

Overall it's a book that's worth reading. It captivates the reader through the author's wonderful storytelling, with detailed descriptions of everything and a suspense that builds up but doesn't disappoint.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Harrygx3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Beautiful review. I really loved the book too!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. It was interesting how you pointed out that labels do not define a person but rather the action. Great insight. Thanks.
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:

Post by Harrygx3 »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 02:04 I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
It's a nice time-killer, thank you for your feedback and happy reading!^^
HouseOfAtticus wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 06:17 Beautiful review. I really loved the book too!
Thank you^^ I expected it to be a bit boring but glad I was wrong :D I am tempted to buy the other two books, I am curious what will happen in the end. :techie-reference: What you loved the most about it?
kdstrack wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 06:18 Nice review. It was interesting how you pointed out that labels do not define a person but rather the action. Great insight. Thanks.
Happy that you liked that part, I thought it was a part worth mentioning^^ Thank you and have a beautiful day/night all! :D
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for your review. I am tickled that you found the demons really talkative and they didn't sound smart or hard to outwit! The book sounds interesting!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:

Post by Harrygx3 »

Cotwani wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 17:04 Thanks for your review. I am tickled that you found the demons really talkative and they didn't sound smart or hard to outwit! The book sounds interesting!
Happy that you enjoyed it and thank you for your time^^ :lol:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”