Review by E G Suth -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Review by E G Suth -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by E G Suth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White can best be described as a biography in which the author details the twenty-two most inspirational people that he’s met throughout his life and what he’s learnt from his experiences.

The book opens with a quick introduction in which White gives the reader a brief overview of his upbringing; his childhood in the small poor town where he grew up and the hidden pressure he faced to work in one of town's factories. However, despite this, he went to college, became a high earning teacher and then managed to elevate himself to a highly successful real estate entrepreneur.

Each chapter documents the moments before and after he meets each ordinary guru along with the lesson that he learnt from each experience. The structure of this book was a refreshing change from the usual clutter that can appear in self-motivational novels and, as such, And Then I Met Margaret, was a very easy read. I particularly enjoyed the way a myth (surrounding individuals’ success) that White used to believe, was stated at the beginning of each chapter and the new reality he has discovered at the end of each chapter. This provided an informative and thought-provoking summary to each anecdote.

One of my favourite chapters has to be Chapter 19 – The Maasai Mother, in which White tells us about his travels on the Serengeti plains in Tanzania. It was there where he met a mother of a sick baby. What follows is a moving and inspirational story that brought me to tears. I think this quote ‘When it comes to using your power and directing the universe to work with you, your age doesn’t matter, your race doesn’t matter, your gender doesn’t matter... none of that matters’ will tell you exactly what this chapter means to me better than I can myself.

As much as I enjoyed And Then I Met Margaret, there were certain parts of it that I just didn’t get along with, especially the narrator’s tone of voice. Don’t get me wrong, the success that he’s experienced throughout his life is very impressive and I give him full credit for his achievements. However, I found him borderline arrogant at times, especially when talking about his property investments. As a result, I struggled to relate to a few of the chapters which really detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book.

Despite its pitfalls And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a worthy read filled with motivational accounts of White’s experiences throughout his life. As such, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and would recommend to anyone who feels that they are lacking the motivation to progress in their life and career. So take a seat, open your mind and in Rob’s own words... ‘Are you ready?’

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like E G Suth's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

E G Suth wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 13:09
As much as I enjoyed And Then I Met Margaret, there were certain parts of it that I just didn’t get along with, especially the narrator’s tone of voice. Don’t get me wrong, the success that he’s experienced throughout his life is very impressive and I give him full credit for his achievements. However, I found him borderline arrogant at times, especially when talking about his property investments. As a result, I struggled to relate to a few of the chapters which really detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book.

Despite its pitfalls And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a worthy read filled with motivational accounts of White’s experiences throughout his life. As such, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and would recommend to anyone who feels that they are lacking the motivation to progress in their life and career. So take a seat, open your mind and in Rob’s own words... ‘Are you ready?’
I enjoyed reading your review very much. I appreciated many things about the author's stories. I also found him to be quite arrogant. And, I felt he was unable to integrate many of the very lessons he espoused. I had a different take on the Maasai Mother story. I felt uneasy during the entire story and ended up feeling as though he exploited a mother going through a very sensitive and personal experience, just for the sake of a chapter in his book. But, I did appreciate many aspects of the book. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thank you!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! I agree about the author being hard to relate to at times. I liked the first few chapters the best.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for that opening paragraph. I also thought the book was more of an autobiography. He follows a timeline starting with several chapters about his childhood. In the last chapters, he is older, maybe even elderly. He writes that he began to feel unfulfilled after he had accumulated a certain amount of wealth. What that before or after his childhood inspirational experiences? Interesting review. Thanks.
E G Suth

Post by E G Suth »

Eva Darrington wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 16:16
E G Suth wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 13:09

I enjoyed reading your review very much. I appreciated many things about the author's stories. I also found him to be quite arrogant. And, I felt he was unable to integrate many of the very lessons he espoused. I had a different take on the Maasai Mother story. I felt uneasy during the entire story and ended up feeling as though he exploited a mother going through a very sensitive and personal experience, just for the sake of a chapter in his book. But, I did appreciate many aspects of the book. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thank you!
Thank you very much for your kind words about my review. I think it's very interesting that you had a completely different view to me on the Massai Mother chapter but I could see why it could be interpreted differently. I'll be sure to check out your review soon too.
E G Suth

Post by E G Suth »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 22:01 Thank you for that opening paragraph. I also thought the book was more of an autobiography. He follows a timeline starting with several chapters about his childhood. In the last chapters, he is older, maybe even elderly. He writes that he began to feel unfulfilled after he had accumulated a certain amount of wealth. What that before or after his childhood inspirational experiences? Interesting review. Thanks.
On reflection I agree with you about it being more of an autobiography, an oversight on my side. I think it did follow the progression of his life to an extent aswell. Glad you found my review interesting, thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”