Review by Yaone -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by Yaone -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Firstly, the title of the book made me curious and wondering what it was about. I never thought it would be a motivational book. It came across as a fiction genre. Neither the less when I started reading the book I was fascinated to learn how Rob White is naturally an optimistic person, in every experience of his life he grasps something that changes him for the better. Even though I enjoyed most of the book, in this review I will highlight some of my favorite encounters.

The first chapter was both sad and inspiring for me. It was about Rob's aunt Theresa. She was an old maid;which refers to someone who is older but not married yet. She rose above the insults and gossiping that ridiculed her in order to make her nephew happy. I found her to be selfless and I found myself encouraged to put other people's interests before mine, especially my family members. Theresa was a good role model for Rob. I appreciated the bravery she displaced by going to the store regardless of what people will say, she is one of the strongest characters.

Chapter 16 titled 'Its just me' was my favorite story. The author had a motivational presentation in front of so many people when his wig fell, hence his secret of years revealed. He tried to leave the stage to escape the humiliation but failed to locate an exit. There was no other way he could escape and he decided to face the music by admitting who he is has been revealed. Rob acted with a sense of humor and at the same time teaching readers to be content with who they are. Another thing that I noticed from the chapter is that Rob loves to look good, whenever he had an important event he prepared his gear the night before with a check list to ensure nothing is over looked. This later was displayed again when he was preparing to run with the bulls.

Then there is a chapter about Tim who was a fraudster. He tricked Rob into a 50 000 dollar contract and then disappeared. A painful truth from this story is not to trust everyone. Not everyone we meet in life has good intentions. Rob never recovered the loss, this left a mark on him that cannot be erased henceforth he will not be easily tricked again. When I got to the story of Margret it was far from what I expected. The title hyped me up for nothing. Margret was a little girl who came on a school tour to visit the author's restaurant. She seemed to be caught up in her little world. She raised her hand to say something totally parallel to what Rob was presenting on. To Rob it was a lesson to show that not everything revolved around him, but to me its not enough to earn her the title of the book.

In summary, I saw Rob grow into a content and confident person through out the chapters. I remember when he was in college he was embarrassed to tell people where he was from. Later he became more comfortable with who he is and became a prominent business man. He tried out different activities to pump up his adrenaline such as car racing, bulls run and flights. I generally loved the book, even though the layout was unusually because the acknowledgement is written at the end of the book.

I rate And Then I Met Margaret 3 out 4 of stars because some of the sentences in the book were not well constructed. I had to go through them several times to understand what the author was communicating. Because the book was filled with such great stories, I was expecting fire works when it came to the story of Margaret. I must say that I am a little disappointed, there was nothing special for me. Another thing that I found to be a buzz killer was that, in most of the chapters there was no smooth connection between the life lesson learnt but the author and when he applied the experience to help another person. In general the book was a great read, the font was enjoyable to read, paragraphs aligned properly and I recommend this book to all types of readers. All the above are reasons why I rate And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White 3 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yaone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm sorry finally meeting Margaret was such a buzzkill for you! Hopefully you enjoy your next book more. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I like the highlights that you pointed out, especially the "Just Me" chapter. I thought Margaret would be more outstanding also. (No fireworks for me, either!) Nice job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”