Review by oceana -- Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Review by oceana -- Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by oceana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, The Hidden City of Chelldrah-ham by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen, is good; Though the book does have problems. The beginning is confusing because it has one scene that makes the reader think that it will have a different time period than what is actually in the book. What is happening becomes confusing and hard to follow the further you get into it.

The book is about two different worlds and one of them is being threatened by a human who is greedy and just wants to destroy. In each world whoever comes from the other turns invisible in the world not their own, when the protagonists come to the human world to stop the villain they create a big fuss because no one can see them and they do things that scare all the humans they encounter. Even though the human is the main antagonist she is hardly ever mentioned throughout the book. Something that is confusing about the main characters is that they seem to be the size of humans in one chapter and then the size of a flower in the next and there is no explanation for it at all.

The main characters get sidetracked by a side quest and are never on track to finish what they originally started until the very end. The message while a good, strong one is forced and becomes redundant. Every other scene it pops up with different characters and similar dialogue. The message is presented unpleasantly showing humans as disgusting creatures that only want to take and never give anything back. I kept having to take breaks because the book became so confusing and I was trying to make sense of everything.

The main characters were well thought out and entertaining when interacting with each other. I really liked that at the end of the book the main characters were still not together romantically meaning that their friendship took precedence over romance. That their friendship was prominent throughout the book and shown as easygoing and relaxed instead of forced and stilted was refreshing and nice to see.

I would give this book one out of four stars. The Hidden City of Chelldrah-ham had to much confusion to give it a higher rating. The main characters quest to stop the antagonist is hampered by their side quest to find the lost city. The plot gets more complicated the further you read the book. There was just not enough coherency of anything to entice the reader into finishing. Overall it was just not a good book.

Belas Rift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like oceana's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments. I thought the author did a good job of portraying a positive relationship between Stig and Meg, a great example for young people who might read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”