Review by Paul78 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Paul78 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Paul78 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks, by Morton E Tavel, MD, is a 278 page, nonfiction book, published by Brighton Publishing LLC. The author has served as a physician specializing in internal medicine and cardiovascular diseases. He has also taught medicine at Indiana University’s school of medicine. This is where he earned his college and medical degrees. He has written this book, out of concern that the contemporary society leads unhealthy lifestyles, held hostage by myths that hold no water in today’s scientific world. It is also vulnerable to tricks employed by quacks, and the profiteering medical industry. This is one of the several books he has written to give his expert advice to liberate us from the ‘’snake oil”. The book has 62 chapters, of which 32 chapters give the reader with useful healthy living tips, while the rest is dedicated to debunking the myths and exposing various tricks used by fraudsters in the medical industry.

Dr. Tavel has delved into many issues that are of concern in today’s world. The various tips he has given are not limited to weight management, cigarette smoking, wine drinking, place of adequate sleep and foods that one should avoid. When discussing tips in each chapter, the author has started with what has always been known, providing facts based on research or his vast medical experience and finally giving the conclusion. In his discussion on whether mother was right or wrong on eating a good breakfast, he writes, “So I say to one and all, eat your breakfast every morning, it better be more than just a doughnut and coffee, or I’ll tell mother on you!”

He has further exposed some of the myths that have held part of the society hostage. Some of these myths would be considered crazy in today’s world. They are held by persons with personal phobias, yet they would wish they seem as factual. There are still others that are widely believed as true yet medical professionals hold a different opinion. How about stretching before strenuous work? Do I really need an annual medical checkup? The author has written a balanced opinion based on research on each of these topics. While most have been well-intentioned, some have no health benefits, or worse still, may lead to either false confidence or further unnecessary tests. There are many other areas, as the writer notes, that seem beneficial to human health, yet research has proven them counterproductive.

The last part of the book exposes the tricks employed by various persons ranging from quacks, pharmaceutical companies; mainstream and social media just to name a few. When one reads this part, one agrees that indeed, “naked truth came long after a well-dressed lie made his presentation and left”. This part shockingly, exposes some of the nasty pranks that have all along been played on the masses. They have all along appeared so genuine. And at our cost, a multibillion dollar economy thrives. What about the now popular medical talk shows on TV? The reason why this nonsense goes unabated, as he says, regulators like F.D.A are overstressed and underfunded. One would wonder if it is by design or just circumstantial. Already, there are frustrations by genuine practitioners, as the current legal framework allows the quacks thrive under alternative medicine. He concludes by examining the various oaths the medical practitioners subscribe to and their overall relevance to today’s medical practice.

One thing I observed is that the author has tried to use simple language so that he can reach out to as many people as he would. While it is not easy for a medical doctor to write this book free of medical jargon, medical terms are only used to pass the information as intended. The author has used well-referenced research findings, relevant examples that form the basis from which the author bases his arguments from, in each chapter. Most chapters whether on tips, myths, or even the tricks, close with the author’s opinion on a certain subject. Most of the researches findings, examples used, legislative framework, if not all, are from the USA. We are aware that the USA has made major strides in medical research, fast food industry among other areas. Thus the people who are familiar with life in the US would easily relate to this book.

Unfortunately, this book had some grammatical errors and typos. For instance, on page 123, there are glaring typos that would make one wonder what really went wrong. In page 203, he states, a “women”, instead of, “a woman”. The design of the chapter titles, e.g. “Chapter 51”, written as, “πChapter 51o”, I found confusing. These are just few of the grammatical errors that I had observed.
I wish to note that the author’s work is commendable. This is a book that is a must-read for all. The young adults may need some help, especially where they may find it hard to understand the language used in this book. I wish to note that the author’s work deserves all the four stars. However, because of the typos and the grammatical errors, I do give it, 3 out of 4 stars. This book will still benefit if subjected to another round of proofreading.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Paul78's review? Post a comment saying so!
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice review of this book. I'm not sure how much medical advise I would want to take from someone who can't edit their book properly! Seems like it can derail his message even though he sounds completely competent as a doctor.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 17:35 Nice review of this book. I'm not sure how much medical advise I would want to take from someone who can't edit their book properly! Seems like it can derail his message even though he sounds completely competent as a doctor.
The author wrote a long book. And then his editors slept over the job.
Once the proofreading takes place, the new version ought to be better than this.
I still would recommend for any one who is health conscious to read the book.
Thanks for your reply.
Benjamin Franklin
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review, the author did a great job upon making this book. It is a good source of health issues. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Nice one. Do check mine as well, thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

pinklover wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:15 Nice review, the author did a great job upon making this book. It is a good source of health issues. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Nice one. Do check mine as well, thanks.
Dr. Tavel has done a good job giving various health tips, myths and tricks in the medical field. Of concern to several reviewers is his opinion on alternative medicine. There is a feeling that he is particularly harsh in his opinions towards them. While there has been positive contribution from these guys, most of the tricksters in the medical field hide themselves behind alternative medicine.
Benjamin Franklin
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Every time I read a review for this book, I find myself more inclined to read it. I love how you've included some quotes from the author and I really think you capture the book's essence well. Thanks so much for your review.
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

SPasciuti wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 16:03 Every time I read a review for this book, I find myself more inclined to read it. I love how you've included some quotes from the author and I really think you capture the book's essence well. Thanks so much for your review.
Morton E. Tavel has written a great book. If you are conscious about healthy living, this is a book I would recommend to you. Thanks for your comment.
Benjamin Franklin
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

Your review has helpful information for others interested in reading. I love that your review breaks down the format of each chapter. I see that you mentioned how the author starts each chapter with the myth and uses factual research to help either prove or debunk it. A book that is helpful to health is always a good read and your review is a clear testament to that.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. It leaves me curious about the tricks and nasty pranks that have all along been played on the masses. A pity about the poor editing.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 14:43 Thanks for the thorough review. It leaves me curious about the tricks and nasty pranks that have all along been played on the masses. A pity about the poor editing.
The multi-million dollar business understand the concept of making sure that even if it is a lie, people will believe it as truth, so long as they continue hearing it. One finds that those who are ready to spread the false information on management of medical conditions will always be ahead of those who know the truth.
It is equally disturbing to note that even those who know the truth would deliberately engage in these tricks so long as there are benefits accruing from them.
Benjamin Franklin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book opens many awesome realities about health and fitness. I have also reviewed this book. Feel free to check out mine.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 00:21 This book opens many awesome realities about health and fitness. I have also reviewed this book. Feel free to check out mine.
I have just gone through your review. While the whole world seems to be going East health wise, the author has not mentioned anything about it. From various reviews and comments on this book, I can sense conventional doctors trying to ward off infiltation by quacks and alternative medicine.
Benjamin Franklin
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 13:44 Your review has helpful information for others interested in reading. I love that your review breaks down the format of each chapter. I see that you mentioned how the author starts each chapter with the myth and uses factual research to help either prove or debunk it. A book that is helpful to health is always a good read and your review is a clear testament to that.
Thanks for your positive remarks. In these days where lifestyle diseases are slowly becoming the number one killers, the work of doctors like Morton E. Tavel is increasingly becoming of necessity, rather than a luxury.
Benjamin Franklin
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for sharing your in-depth analysis of this book, Paul78. I am convinced that it is a wonderful source of healthy advice that will benefit many.
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 15:09 Thanks for sharing your in-depth analysis of this book, Paul78. I am convinced that it is a wonderful source of healthy advice that will benefit many.
Already, I have been able to identify some tricks online. And I credit the author for this. Thanks for your reply.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”