Review by rs1977 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Review by rs1977 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by rs1977 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White. In this inspirational memoir, Rob describes the various incidents that took place in his life, each one of them teaching a lesson to him and transforming him in a very deep way. Rob’s anecdotes are so inspiring that they leave the reader wondering if they should pay attention to each and every small incident that happens in their life to grow to be a better person!

The book starts with an introduction of how Rob got interested in spirituality and how he met several gurus. Several famous names are mentioned. This impressive list is so long such that it makes the reader wonder if Rob is bragging. Having said that, there are several pieces of wisdom that Rob shares in this book, e.g., how inspirational chants can lead to positive thoughts that would lead to a better destiny.

Rob is a captivating storyteller and it shows. The narration is full of short interesting stories covering incidents that happened in his life. Every chapter in the book is a little nugget of wisdom. Some stories do sound like they are made-up, like the Chris’s story in Chapter 11. But the writing style is very vivacious and one would enjoy reading the book without experiencing boredom. In many places, I felt that I wouldn't keep this book down till I complete it.

The book cover is catchy, although the texture could be a little brighter. The words in the title "personal transformation" motivate one to pick up this book as everyone has the urge to grow, transform and be successful. The chapter numbers in the table of contents look too glaring because of the bold font; they could be in the regular font. I found 12 mechanical errors in the book which could have been caught through effective proofreading, e.g., “he was next to go” should be “he was the next to go” on Page 13, closing quotation mark missing after “you can get soda” on Page 29, “Any that’s exactly” should be “Anyway that’s exactly” on Page 46, closing quotation mark missing after “push a mop” on Page 50.
The formatting is perfect though.

Overall, I found this book to be a pretty interesting read for all audiences, especially the ones who are seeking inspiration to transform their lives for the better. This book is suitable for all ages. The storytelling, with one personal incident of the author in each chapter, makes the book a fascinating read. I could have easily rated this book 4 out of 4 stars if not for the several glaring mechanical errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rs1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I thought your comment about the author possibly bragging very interesting. Has he had an extraordinary life or have the rest just been overlooking all the gurus around us. Intriguing comment. Nice job.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Nice review highlighting the positive points and improvement areas!
I wonder if you liked the overall message of the book as there seems
to be a lingering doubt in your review if the book has been authentic
in its message.
mvr2003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mvr2003 »

Your review is thorough and concise. I made me curious
to read this book, which I will do in due course of time.
It looks like a great book for those who wish to be
inspired.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

rs1977 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 12:28 Overall, I found this book to be a pretty interesting read for all audiences, especially the ones who are seeking inspiration to transform their lives for the better. This book is suitable for all ages. The storytelling, with one personal incident of the author in each chapter, makes the book a fascinating read. I could have easily rated this book 4 out of 4 stars if not for the several glaring mechanical errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Your review fully captured the strengths of this book. As you point out, the author was a skilled storyteller. I agree that many will be inspired. I had a couple of problems with the book, but also appreciated the premise. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”