Review by Reviewer Book -- 30th Century: Escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reviewer Book
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-book.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Review by Reviewer Book -- 30th Century: Escape

Post by Reviewer Book »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape is a science fiction novel written by author Mark Kingston Levin. In this novel, Mark Levin introduces his readers to a futuristic world where there is a war of sorts between the Naturals and those they have enhanced genetically, the Syndos. As what typically happens when attempting to alter human genetics, something went terribly wrong with the original Syndos. This has caused the Syndos to have no sense of morality, thereby explaining why they think nothing of killing off the only natural human beings left on planet earth.

The leader of the Naturals is both heartbroken and emotionally lost. Therefore, she decides it is best to abandon her team when they need her the most. Captain Jennifer Hero sends her team back to the 27th century to save the human race without her, so she can travel back to the 21st century to find herself. (Great leadership skills, right?!)

This is basically where the science fiction ends, unfortunately for the reader. The rest of the novel pretty much covers more of Jennifer's deceptive nature - she pretty much lies to everyone. The author also includes her many sexcapades with practically everyone she meets (how else is she supposed to get over her heartache, right?), as well as some beautiful scenic descriptions (the highlight of the novel, if you ask me).

I'm not sure why this novel fell under the science fiction genre. The author vaguely mentions time travel, and then slaps the label on there. Maybe to attract a bigger audience? I don't know, but the novel is definitely not categorized correctly. A part of me feels like it is a travelogue, while another part feels like it is a terrible erotica. I say terrible, because the numerous sex scenes serve absolutely no purpose. They are completely out of place, and stereotypically offensive. I found myself rolling my eyes each time one appeared.

I feel bad about not liking this novel more. I do not enjoy speaking badly of another's hard work. I just don't understand what the author was doing here. The novel seemed to be going through the same identity crises as its protagonist! I can only give this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is part of a trilogy, and I doubt I'll be able to read either of the other two books. I hope they delve more into the science fiction aspects that the first book alluded to, though. (I also hope there are less explicit and out of place sex scenes)

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Reviewer Book's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review - this sounds like quite a disappointing read. I do not like books with a lot of sex scenes so I think I will give this one a miss.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”