Review by Amystl26 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Amystl26 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Amystl26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if you had a superpower that allowed you to propel yourself to various locations around the globe? What if this superpower also allowed you to access bank accounts, health records, and confidential information within the CIA? Alex Fine is an 18-year-old harnessing this exact power. Growing up in orphanages, he surrounded himself with books and became highly intelligent with his sights set on a prestigious college. However, these plans came to a halt with the simple touch of a computer wire.

Alex was merely trying to fix the wiring on the new computers at his orphanage when he was unexpectedly transported through the cyber world. A dark tunnel with light packets illuminating the way took him to his first stop: Hawaii. He visited several destinations along his cyber journeys: Hawaii, Amsterdam, Switzerland, St. Lucia, and Miami. All of which brought good and bad repercussions. He experienced many “firsts”-- first drink, first drug-induced high, first kiss, and first sexual encounter. Somewhere along the way he became an anti-hero in my eyes. Having access to millions of bank accounts, he found a wealthy criminal to steal money from; justifying his actions by taking from a criminal then giving to those in need.

Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy by Alex Fayman. Reading this narration in first person, following along through a journey with this anti-hero was a roller-coaster of emotions. One minute I was cheering him on, the next disgusted with his actions. Alex Fine is the epitome of a walking contradiction. Nice job, Fayman. I have never had these feelings while reading a book. I found it brilliant and irritating all on the same plane. The character development was well done, even if it was limited to mostly the main character.

For a while, everything seems to be going a little too smoothly for Alex. This pretty boy meets all the right people who happen to give him exactly what he needs, when he needs it. Anything from money, food, and clothes just landed conveniently in his lap. All the attractive girls flocked to him and were impressed with his financial status. However, I don’t know many poor 18-year-old orphans who are that savvy regarding financial terms and transactions. Luckily, Fayman’s fast-paced writing style lured me in and I went along with it. At times I found myself getting bored, thinking everything was falling into place a little too nicely for all his sneaky maneuvers. Just when those thoughts arose, Alex stole a notable possession from a well-off gangster, things took a dark turn, and that’s when it got really interesting.

I’m giving Superhighway 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the plot, background, and writing style. However, there were quite a few grammatical errors leading me to this decision. The author seemed confused with homophones: mixing up “wave” for “waive” and “peace” for “piece”. This mistake was made more than a few times. The story unfolded in a way that kept my attention and continued to capture it with each page. I’m intrigued to see what how the rest of the series unfolds. I would recommend this book to a more mature younger audience. It contains sexually explicit scenes and vulgar language. People who are into science fiction, dystopian, and thrillers will definitely want to pick this one up!

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amystl26's review? Post a comment saying so!
cjd3778
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cjd3778 »

I liked your review Amy! I was most intrigued by your thoughts on his anti-hero status. I personally love anti-hero because I don't think the world is black and white. Also, if you're looking for a major antagonist that you simultaneously cheer on and despise, I would recommend the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand; Howard Roark is a real piece of work. Keep writing!
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

I’m just now starting this book and now I’m excited to get to know Alex Fine more. Although I can always do without explicit scenes. Great review!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

TheGhastlyGrimoire wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 11:06 I’m just now starting this book and now I’m excited to get to know Alex Fine more. Although I can always do without explicit scenes. Great review!
Enjoy! Alex Fine sure is something! Happy reading!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I enjoyed very much the honesty of your review. I think its quite coherent that a teenager would make a lot of mistakes and bad decisions if given so much power but I also get annoyed when everything just seems to go the main character's way. I'm not much into sci-fi but I enjoy books with interesting character development.
Thank you for sharing your real experience with the book, boredom included. It's very much appreciated and it enriches your review very much.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I started it, but I couldn't seem to get all the way through. It just kind of fizzled halfway through for me. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Stepping up and going for success shouldn't be too bad at all, and yet it's when the proverbial line is crossed that the perspective changes. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Amystl26 wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 19:08 [Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]

Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy by Alex Fayman. Reading this narration in first person, following along through a journey with this anti-hero was a roller-coaster of emotions. One minute I was cheering him on, the next disgusted with his actions. Alex Fine is the epitome of a walking contradiction. Nice job, Fayman. I have never had these feelings while reading a book. I found it brilliant and irritating all on the same plane. The character development was well done, even if it was limited to mostly the main character.
I really agree with you on the roller-coaster of emotions. I wanted to like Alex, but he made it difficult for me to really cheer for him when he delved into some things that were not good for him or others. I enjoyed the fast pace and action, but not the stupidity of his actions at times.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one - anti-hero and all! I know the hero is only 18, but I would have preferred it if he didn't take on the characteristics of the villain! Great review, all the same!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”