Review by psspcj -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by psspcj -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by psspcj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Puffy and the Formidable Foe is the authored by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon. It is a story of a cat Puffy who went hunting for a rat. While searching for rat he went away from home. Later he encountered with a kitty who couldn't meow. With some bad experiences, Puffy got to know about the skunks and returned home. He had hard time cleaning himself and learning from all the experience, Puffy made a vow never to go away from home.

The creative illustrations by Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon keep children engaged in the story. My toddler son got curious about the book because of its interesting pictures. The pictures are so interesting and provide description in detail that kids understand the story well. It also provide with a coloring page at the end so that children can use their creativity for coloring it. It is also provided with email address where parents can request for another coloring pages to the authors.

The book gives an important message to kids of never leaving home alone. With the example of the cat Puffy and the description of the adventure of leaving home, children can relate to it. It teaches children the value of home and never leaving home alone just to wander here and there. I experienced this personally when I told this story to my 3 years old son and he then started asking me every time he wants to go outside the home. He also understood that the advice of family members is for good.

The authors have provided list of few ways this book can help children learning. It includes reading out loud book to the children, discussing what Puffy should have done and few more exercises to be done with children which will help them to learn it better and more.

The book length is just perfect for kids. It is not too long for children. It comes as short story easy to read making it perfect bed time book. The rhyming words in the story makes it more like a poem and provide children with strong vocabulary. The authors have again provided with email address where parents can request for big words in the book. People who are not into very much children books may not like this book. I will give this book rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Definitely book is something that can help kids learn many things. This should be perfect book for the parents who wants to start with book reading to the children.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like psspcj's review? Post a comment saying so!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

wow, I wanted to review this book as well. Your's sound good and appealing to my ears. You convince me to give this a try. do check mine as well.thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

psspcj wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 06:08 children can relate to it
I think this one little blurb is incredibly meaningful here. Children will be able to follow this story with ease and make connections to their own lives.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”