Review by Cotwani -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the last great Kingdom, a novel by Victor Rose is book 1 of the Brimstone Chronicles, a Crime/Mystery/ Thriller/Fantasy series. The novel is set in Sulphurium, an enchanting place with two full moons and peaceful habitation. Once I got the drift of the story, I found this book very captivating, with mythical magical creatures like elves, dwarfs, ogres, enlighten and demons interacting and coexisting with themselves and with non magical creature like humans in a tale of greed, conspiracy, conquest and war; there is never a dull moment.

The book begins with atrocities being committed to the families of two of the four children central to the story. These children’s beginning of life is very moving. The main character, Brimstone, is constantly ridiculed and bullied. What, with being a ward of a school for magi for years but unable to do any magic! At the critical moment when he either has to perform some magic to remain in the school or either leave or die, some amazing quality about him is discovered. This earns him a promotion to level one mage, lots of respect and a mentor. He then embarks on intense rigorous training. Soon he has to form a team, and he realizes the years of ridicule have not been forgotten as nobody comes to sign up for his team. Somehow he gets help making the minimum required team members. During team competitions, his team Crimson is doing a superb job of standing their own, when all hell breaks loose and a number of the competitors die.

After sham investigations, Brimstone is blackmailed into taking the blame for maliciously causing the student deaths, and is sentenced to life imprisonment without trial. Despite his friend’s attempts to prove otherwise, Brimstone is whisked away to prison. Two of team Crimson members, escape school in a bid to rescue him. What follows are exciting parallel journeys of adventure, escapades, near misses, combats, loses and victories by Brimstone and his two friends. Brimstone soon becomes legendary throughout the region. He also travels to other realms to collect parts of himself that were banished there by a curse. Finally the four team Crimson members reunite and have to travel back to their besieged school.

I enjoyed the suspense and anticipation created throughout the book. The characters were well developed and the plot nicely executed. I couldn’t help but empathize with Brimstone as he moved from one tight situation to another. At the very last moment, something always worked in his favor. What I did not like was children having to hand gruesome deaths to their enemies and be okay with it. The fact that Brimstone had to share his being/soul with demons was also a put off. There were a few grammatical errors which did not however interfere with the flow of the story.

Overall, the book is very captivating. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy, thrill and suspense. Though it has lots of gore, there are many moments of humane actions and reactions.

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am always into fictional novels. And this one seems appealing appealing too
Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 04:11 I am always into fictional novels. And this one seems appealing appealing too
Thank you for such a nice review
Thanks. I hope you get to read it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Cotwani, I agree with you that the characters were nicely developed! Wouldn't it have been cool if he had gone a step further and had the characters really personify their chosen elements? I.e. clothing, speech, foods they ate etc.

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books.

Twenty Way's End of The Last Great Kindom is Like Other Books:
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=54527&p=813109#p813109

My review of this book here:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

nlhartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 20:47 Cotwani, I agree with you that the characters were nicely developed! Wouldn't it have been cool if he had gone a step further and had the characters really personify their chosen elements? I.e. clothing, speech, foods they ate etc.

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books.

Twenty Way's End of The Last Great Kindom is Like Other Books:

My review of this book here:
Wow Nlhartje, I didn't quite think of having the characters really personify their chosen elements. It would have been phenomenal. Thanks for your response.
-Walt Disney
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

An enchanting place with two full moons and a peaceful habitation, sounds like an exciting story.The peaceful co-existence between all these creatures you mentioned makes me want to read this book.Thanks for the insightful review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. The book was quite a 'readful!'
-Walt Disney
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Poor guy. He overcomes one obstacle just to be faced with a bigger one. I hope his friends can save him. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:57 Poor guy. He overcomes one obstacle just to be faced with a bigger one. I hope his friends can save him. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.
His life was action-packed! Thanks for reading and commenting!
-Walt Disney
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Brimstone has a very inspiring life story. It's interesting that after being bullied he actually turns out to have a unique gift. The fact that there are mythical creatures like elves and ogres makes this book sound so much more interesting.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Oulababe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 12:52 Brimstone has a very inspiring life story. It's interesting that after being bullied he actually turns out to have a unique gift. The fact that there are mythical creatures like elves and ogres makes this book sound so much more interesting.
Yes, the book is mystical! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Another great review by you! I will have to check this one out. I'm always happy to read stories of the underdog, bullied, that surpass expectations. Shame that it twists back to him being blamed for murder so I'll have to see how that works out.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a magical read where the author did a wonderful job at creating a fantastical world. I love the strong premise and well developed characters.

Thank you for the wonderful review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The character Brimstone sounds very interesting as he was bullied as a child and later sentenced to life imprisonment without trial for crimes he didn't commit. The attempted rescue from his team and his travels to other realms all sound like what makes for a good and suspenseful adventure.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

fernsmom wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 22:40 Another great review by you! I will have to check this one out. I'm always happy to read stories of the underdog, bullied, that surpass expectations. Shame that it twists back to him being blamed for murder so I'll have to see how that works out.
Thanks Fernsmom, the book is voluminous but quite interesting once you get the hang of things. I hope you get round to reading it.

I appreciate your stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”