Review by Michelle92 -- Yesterdat by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Review by Michelle92 -- Yesterdat by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterdat" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book travels through different times in Chicago, allowing you a fairly complex story. Yesterday tells the story of Amanda Parker and Mark Callahan, who meet in extraordinary circumstances right at the beginning of the book. However, the important, yet mysterious detail is that they strongly feel like they’ve known each other before, despite logic telling them they haven’t. That is what makes it an unusual romance, with the concept of reincarnation throw in the mix. There is an undeniable pull between both characters, but circumstances from her past make developing any kind of relationship difficult. She’s experienced great loss and suffering, but the real question remains the same: will he quit on them?

I find this story very well written, it’s the kind of writing, we are not so used to encounter nowadays, it is the one we associate with classics. The characters in this book are gracefully developed using the setting of Chicago through different times. This is the kind of book where you can find a story within another story, a true gift.

Here you’ll find a romance become a mystery novel, in search for the answers to so many questions. It is indeed a simple plot, but extremely well executed. The way the narratives from the past and the present intertwine with each other makes it all the more alluring. The historical note on this book feels authentic and well described. The author finds a way to relate a story and not just feed you numerous facts from the past.

Along with the characters, there is a big chance you’ll find yourself asking about reincarnation, past lives, memories of another life so strong that they can dominate your present day, the connection between each of these experiences and at the depth of it all, fate. There has also been a clever mix of modern day forensics and past life therapy, creating an enjoyable read.

With sceneries from different times, this story allows you to travel in more ways that you can imagine. That is why the number of romantic scenes feels a bit overdone for me in this specific story.

After saying this, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I also feel the need to add that this book deserves much more readers that it has now. It is an amazing story that you will easily enjoy from the beginning to the very end.

Yesterdat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Michelle92's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Good work on your review. You presented a nice synopsis of the story. Thanks.
Michelle92

Post by Michelle92 »

Thanks
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this review - after reading this I am very keen to read the book. I am very interested in books which deal with the idea of reincarnation and also how people can meet in another life and feel like they have known each other for a long time. It is definitely on my 'to read' list now!
Michelle92

Post by Michelle92 »

Good to hear that. An amazing book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”