Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Zelinda -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Zelinda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]

[rbc=4]id50303-125[/rbc][i]Superhighway [/i] is the story of Alex Fine, a young man who comes to acquire great wealth and power by literally traveling through the Internet. This gift of teleportation is revealed to him at age 18, shortly before he is expected to leave the orphanage in which he has been raised and attend college. Before this occurs, the orphanage receives a donation of computers and Alex is given permission to stay in the computer lab after it officially closes one night.

When the computer he is working at goes off-line, Alex tries disconnecting the network cable. As he begins to reconnect, he squeezes the tip of the cable, is drawn into the Internet and begins travelling a path. The place he ends up in is the same place that he was observing on the computer screen before it went offline.

As Alex learns how to navigate back and forth between locations, he also discovers how to enter bank servers, extract money from selected accounts and set up his own domicile. The accounts he selects are affiliated with known criminals who remain outside the reach of the law. He is determined to make these criminals pay for their crimes. At the same time, he is finding out how he received his gift of teleportation. He also finds out about his biological parents and the story of how and by whom they were unjustly punished.

This is a compelling and fast moving story that will appeal to science fiction and fantasy fans. Because it contains some sexual content, it is probably not suitable for most youth. It explores the themes of familial and romantic love, honesty, loyalty, and patriotism. It also looks at self-growth, showing some of the ways that Alex matures as he begins to recognize mistakes he is making.

This book is well written, entertaining, and thought-provoking. One need not be a science fiction or fantasy lover to like this book; general fiction lovers could also appreciate how well it flows and the quality of the writing. The ending, a cliff-hanger to be sure, completes the first chapter in a clever way, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

There were only a few grammatical or spelling errors in the book and none of them interfered with the clarity of the writing. I liked the sense of danger that heightened my interest in Alex's exploits and the suspense that was generated. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this enthralling book and, for all the above reasons, would give it [b]4 out of 4 stars.[/b]

Superhighway
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=50303]on Bookshelves[/url] | on Amazon

Like Zelinda's review? Post a comment saying so!
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've read the book myself and I actually recommend it to young adult readers because it is a good coming of age novel and the violent and sexual scenes are too short to actually matter in the overall development of the plot. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Descriptive and a helpful review. Can get a full idea about the book. Though I sampled few pages, only after reading this review, I got the full picture. Seems like a nice story, though the base of it, traveling through cyberspace is quite a old thing I guess. Because I have read such a story few years ago. Anyway wishing to read this one
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”