Review by Monaatee -- 30th century:escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monaatee
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monaatee.html
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Review by Monaatee -- 30th century:escape

Post by Monaatee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, is a science and erotic fiction novel. At 464 pages I’d say it makes for a very memorable read as it is not too long that you get tired or lose the story in the end. Self-published in June 2015, it is the first in a trilogy. The cover of the book depicts a woman and in the background, I get the sense she is in outer space. I got the vibe of her floating while looking at it and it’s very easy to get lost or entranced with this image.

The book tells the story of how fifty members of the secret service in the 30th century, who happen to be natural, go back in time to the 27th century. The mission is to infect the Syndos, who are genetically modified humans with a virus that will give them compassion and prevent them from wiping the naturals in the 30th century. All seems to go well, but the commander of the SS team, named Jennifer Hero changes course and rather than joining her team she goes back to 2015.

Jennifer Hero had a partner name Zexton Ho, who was brilliant and thus responsible for creating the time-travel machine. They also had a love affair and after his death, Jennifer continued his work and was able to transport her team back to the 27th century to carry out their mission. While in 2015, Jennifer has to navigate surviving and fitting in without blowing her cover. I was immediately curious about why Jennifer didn’t join her SS team to the 27th century, readers will have to stick around to find out.

I commend the author for using the opportunity of studying for his Ph.D. to write a book of fiction surrounded by dark matter. In certain areas of the book, I noticed how much research must have gone in and it almost felt like the author was defending his thesis to me. However, I did find a lot of typographical errors. For example, Table of contents: Chapter 29 should be aligned, “though” instead of “through”, there were some writings saying “3 highlighters”, do not know if it is only in my copy, some missing words and letters as well.

What I also didn’t like while reading the book especially getting to the end was that I felt that Jennifer and her love interest developed too abruptly. For a moment I thought I had missed a scene, even the erotic part didn’t feel authentic and passionate or desperate but more like being forced. I got the sense that I was reading a fast-forward version and the author couldn’t wait to get to another point.

Notwithstanding, what I really loved while reading 30th Century: Escape is the fact that it opened my mind to a lot of questions I have been having about sexuality, my sexuality. It seemed so easy here, but I know in real life, it’s not as easy but surely, I can see the possibilities and I am encouraged. Several times I struggled as I had decided to take away only one star then I would encounter the errors like the ones mentioned above and want to take two or three stars away, but with the personal lessons learnt and the questions it generated in my mind I will rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because I can see the intelligence of the author and with a little more editing the errors wouldn't be present.

I would recommend this book firstly to those who can take an extremely erotic book as it contains graphic multi-partner sex, I would recommend it to those who can allow their mind run wild with imaginations regarding sex, not advisable for young readers. I would also recommend this book to those who are interested in time travel, cosmology and even history of Polynesia.

Mo :tiphat:

30th century:escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Monaatee's review? Post a comment saying so!
'Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it'- Buddha

I have been bent and broken, but - i hope -into a better shape - Charles Dickens
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have read the book. Your review has touched some important things that the author didn't put into consideration. The sex scenes in the book are too many. Well the rating is fine. I wouldn't have given it a better or worse than you have done.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

While I find time travel narratives very imaginative, the description of 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, an erotic fiction makes it not very attractive, for me. Good review, Monaatee.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”