Review by Kylou -- Ever After by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kylou
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylou.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Kylou -- Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Kylou »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ever After" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever After by H M Irwing tells the story of Cindy Marshall and how she found love. The author gives a brief glimpse into Cindy's early years as a teenager and some critical events that have shaped her outlook on life and love in her adulthood; she returned home from school only to find her ailing mother dead in her bedroom. She went on to get a degree but struggled to find a job in her related field so she took a job as a waitress at an elite nightclub. Since her father left her mother for another woman, this has also skewed her opinion on love and marriage and so she did not want to ever get married.

That is until she met Mr. Julian St John of course. On her first night working at the nightclub she was saved by Julian from some trouble in the streets and so their story begins.The story between these two is something straight out of a fairy tale. Julian is not only extremely handsome, he is a self-made millionaire and also the heir to the Italian mafia business. This book tells the story entirely from Cindy's point of view; about her reunion with her father and encounter with her step family and about the budding young relationship between Julian and herself.

I enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and seemed very well edited. It was a typical romance novel with the happy ending which I also liked. The plot was good and the development of Cindy's and Julian's character allowed me to enjoy their story and journey to a happily ever after. At times I was peeved with Cindy's actions and reactions in certain scenes. The author first made Cindy seem very independent and opinionated, however, sometimes she seemed to be shy and over-compromising when I thought she should have spoken up more.

I also liked the introduction of Cindy's step brothers in the story. They provided a much needed comic relief. I wished the author wrote some bits of the story from Julian's point of view; I would have liked to know more about how he felt with Cindy, what he thought about her and their relationship and also his rationale for certain actions he made in the book. I also thought that the relationship between the two moved along very quickly, considering Cindy's inital stance on love and marriage.

Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. It may be more suited for late teenagers or young adults. The sexual content and language used is very mild considering many of the adult romance novels out there.

Ever After
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kylou's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”