Review by Gunnar Ohberg -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by Gunnar Ohberg -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So the zombie apocalypse is knocking at your front door. What should you do? Do you have the right weapon? Are you wearing the correct protective gear? Do you know the best ways to take them out? Do you even know what kind of zombie it is?

In The Ultimate Guide to Zombies, author Dave Robertson attempts to keep you alive with this slim manual on everything undead. In his guide, you will learn where the first known “zombies” originated, their evolution in popular culture, the different names and classes of zombies, and how to fight them (and when maybe it’s best to just run). Even a fascinating history on the original “zombie” cocktail is included.

Dave Robertson is clearly a big fan of the walking dead, and his excitement comes through in his prose. When describing seminal zombie movies such as Night of the Living Dead, Zombi 2, and Shock Waves, Robertson proves a vast and entertaining source of knowledge on the histories of zombie films and their influence on society. Robertson is not a slouch when it comes to weapons, either: he makes an excellent case against using katanas and describes the multiple benefits of tomahawks with a vibrant energy that is informative and (pardon the pun) infectious. It is clear Robertson has spent a lifetime enjoying zombie culture, and his book does an admirable job of conveying that adoration to its audience.

Unfortunately, what should have been an excellent opportunity for a zombie-loving author to spread his undead gospel is mired by a disappointing lack of references and illustrations. Robertson constantly makes claims while providing little-to-no data to defend them; at one point, he says zombies are more popular than vampires because World War Z grossed more than Interview with a Vampire. Besides the fact these movies are roughly two decades apart, this also ignores plenty of other successful vampire franchises (Twilight, Trueblood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.). He also claims that critics “have always looked down on horror movies,” though I think The Exorcist, The Sixth Sense, and Scream might beg to differ.

While Robertson does mention sources of information at times, he offers no index or annotation, so readers have no way of verifying any of his assertions. Robertson constantly refers to the aesthetic pleasures of zombies, yet his guide provides barely a dozen pictures in its entirety. This is not just a missed opportunity; detailed chapters covering topics like brain anatomy, weaponry, and types of body armor become increasingly difficult to process without any kind of visual reference to accompany them.

I found the tone of Robertson’s prose distracting at times. Robertson attempts to use informal dialogue and hackneyed jokes that debilitate his authority and cause more wincing than chuckling. Robertson fails to deliver a joke about explaining the purchase of weaponry “to your wife” (since only guys buy weapons, apparently), then revisits the joke on two separate occasions. His tired ribbings contain all the passion and authenticity of a used-car salesman and become seriously distracting as the novel progresses.

Formatting is also a persistent issue. Chapter One is only a few pages. Chapter Two is a third of the entire book. Pages that were clearly meant to be aligned in graphical formations come out bewildering and clunky. In short, there is little aesthetic quality in his presentation.

The book contains minimal spelling and grammar errors, which is a definite plus. However, for its myriad of missed opportunities, I award The Ultimate Guide to Zombies 2 out of 4 stars. Unless you are a truly committed dead-head, I recommend avoiding this book as much as you would the zombies contained within.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gunnar Ohberg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This is a truly wonderful, insightful, and entertaining review. It sounds like he needs to brush up on his horror pop culture - and maybe shouldn't be like, "Well, that movie has Brad Pitt in it, so that's a solid comparison to make even though Interview is the 9th highest grossing vampire movie while World War Z is the top zombie movie." Totally fair. It's unfortunate that this book sounds like it could be summed up with "missed opportunities". Oh, well. Thanks for the great review!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've been seeing so many shows/movies/books about zombies recently, but my interest has never been piqued. Let the dead stay dead. This is a really great review!
Gunnar Ohberg

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Mallory Whitaker wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 06:05 This is a truly wonderful, insightful, and entertaining review. It sounds like he needs to brush up on his horror pop culture - and maybe shouldn't be like, "Well, that movie has Brad Pitt in it, so that's a solid comparison to make even though Interview is the 9th highest grossing vampire movie while World War Z is the top zombie movie." Totally fair. It's unfortunate that this book sounds like it could be summed up with "missed opportunities". Oh, well. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for the incredibly kind words. I'm very happy you found the review helpful.
Gunnar Ohberg

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

inaramid wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 13:05 I've been seeing so many shows/movies/books about zombies recently, but my interest has never been piqued. Let the dead stay dead. This is a really great review!
Thank you for your kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed this review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not a huge zombie fan (only made it through the first season of Walking Dead), but I was hoping that this would be a fun, plucky faux-survival guide. I guess I will have to keep searching for a different one while I sit here and sharpen my tomahawks...

Also, I can't get Zombie Killers by Leslie and the Lys out of my head...everyone knows you shoot them in the brains if you want to live...
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

It's a shame that this book received this rating. It makes me a bit ambivalent. I did love your review. Thank you for writing it!
Gunnar Ohberg

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

CommMayo wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 16:13 I'm not a huge zombie fan (only made it through the first season of Walking Dead), but I was hoping that this would be a fun, plucky faux-survival guide. I guess I will have to keep searching for a different one while I sit here and sharpen my tomahawks...

Also, I can't get Zombie Killers by Leslie and the Lys out of my head...everyone knows you shoot them in the brains if you want to live...
I love Leslie and the Lys! She wore the tightest of pants. Thanks as always, CommMayo, for gracing my comments with your response.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 14:31
I love Leslie and the Lys! She wore the tightest of pants. Thanks as always, CommMayo, for gracing my comments with your response.
I got to see her in concert and witnessed the naming of the Gem Sweaters live! She followed a drag fashion show. It was quite the night out :-)
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review. I read a site about zombies that exist but I want to make sure it is not a fake news. This book makes me wonder, I will try to read. Thanks for your thoughts in here.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I enjoy reading/watching both vampires and zombies, but I definitely preferred Interview with a Vampire over World War Z. Seems as though the author wanted his opinions to become a generalized opinion of readers.
Either way, thank you for sharing your review! You've given a nice insight to what's to offer in this book.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Gunnar Ohberg

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 15:17
Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 14:31
I got to see her in concert and witnessed the naming of the Gem Sweaters live! She followed a drag fashion show. It was quite the night out :-)
Sounds epic! I am languishing in jealousy over here.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”