Review by Bancroft -- Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Review by Bancroft -- Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly

Post by Bancroft »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bleeding Gull - Look, Feel, Fly by Raed Anis Aljishi is a poetry book. It consists of eighty-eight poems and each with a new theme. The writer is from Saudi Arabia and lives in Qateef. He is a Muslim poet and also teaches chemistry at a school in Qateef. One thing to mention here that Arabs were great poets even 1500 years ago and they are still good poets. There are few feminists among Muslims, and he is one of them. His books are in Arabic, but this is the only one in English.

The writer talks about numerous topics such as playing, riding, pendulum, and others. Most of the poems are short, and there are few poems which occupy a complete page. The writer throws light on breast cancer and pregnancy of a woman. He also explains the process of believing. He also presents the definition of sinners and their punishments. He explains about himself in different poems like his ways and habits. He compares himself with a gull and in this way he makes sense of the topic.

I liked the way in which writer shared his views on a number of topics. In a short poetry book, he shares his opinion on nearly ninety topics. I did my research on Imam Hussain and Fatima. The results are marvelous because they help us in real-life. I will suggest others to do the same.

The book is an Islamic book because it shows the culture and the history of Muslims. The writer also introduces the Holy Book of Muslims known as Quran. In this book, we come up with two Islamic personalities, Imam Hussain and Fatima. Imam Hussain is the grandson of Prophet Muhammad and is a symbol of truth, bravery, and courage. Fatimah is the beloved daughter of Prophet Muhammad, and she is a symbol of modesty, simplicity, and patience.

The problem with the book is that this book can only be understood by Muslims because most of the things discussed in the book are related to Islam. If Christians, Jews or people of any other religion study this book, they are going to find it difficult to understand. So this book is chiefly limited to a specific group of people.

I rate Bleeding Gull - Look, Feel, Fly by Raed Anis Aljishi 2 out of 4 stars. It would have been 4 out of 4 stars if the topics in the book were global and related to every religion. There is an absence of the main idea in the poems, and each poem starts with a new idea, having no relation to the next or the previous one. I would recommend this book to anyone who is eager to learn about the culture of Muslims.

Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bancroft's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”