Review by Alice Lippit -- My Author Is Dead

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Lippit
Favorite Author: Anna-Marie McLemore
Currently Reading: Carve the Mark
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-lippit.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23555

Review by Alice Lippit -- My Author Is Dead

Post by Alice Lippit »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"They can huff and puff and say all they want the truth is that they are scared sh*tless of words."
When it comes to the universe of Michael Bruneau's My Author Is Dead, nothing is more powerful than words. This fact is proven several times over both within the narrative itself and in its greater message. More than a book, this story is fiction with a purpose; it points out the ridiculousness of concepts like destiny, fate, religion, prejudice, and the toxic mindsets that accompany them.

The story follows the main character Adam and his life among the "village of morons," otherwise known as the Authorians. Throughout the book, Adam struggles with his own beliefs while being surrounded by a community of hateful individuals that tell him any non-Authorian (especially the Kafkaists) are as lowly as the animals merely for having different beliefs.

The Authorians society is defined by rules that must be followed to the letter, from when and how one should eat their eggs down to the way the villagers are allowed to dress. Accidentally break a rule and they are subjected to an assortment of punishments that range in severity to the point of torture and death. After breaking one of these rules by meeting with a young Kafkaist girl in secret as a child, Adam is now the victim of a maimed arm and all the wearier of the village nuisance, Cassandra, who ratted him out in the first place.

It is through these interactions and dramaticized cultures that Bruneau's message can shine. The rebellious teen voice of the main character layers sarcasm and humor into the cynical view of organized religion and people in positions of power that gives My Author Is Dead its charm that encourages the reader to turn the page and continue with the story.

Unfortunately, there were parts where the story suffered in favor of this unique style. The focus was very much on the larger picture and the political point that was being driven home with each chapter. Adam would occasionally go off on mental tangents, and while they fit his character it tended to interrupt the flow of the story.

Other times characters fell flat, most notably Adam's grandfather. As Adam's fellow rebel, his grandfather should have been given a little more development. But this character wasn't even mentioned until he was needed for the story, and even then his character was only that of a jaded old man. His one-dimensional personality paired with Adam never having mentioned him until he had a use for him made it hard to believe that this grandfather was as important to the main character as the author wanted him to be. The characters as a whole would have been so much more believable if they had been given a few more scenes to really interact with each other and show more than one emotion.

Outside of the flat characters and a few minor grammatical errors that could be fixed with a good once-over by an editor, My Author Is Dead was an enjoyable and thought-provoking read. It raised questions and pointed fingers at issues that many today are content to turn a blind eye to. As an atypical book with an atypical message, I'd give My Author is Dead 2 out of 4 stars. I would encourage people from all walks of life to crack open this book and take an inward look at the ridiculous aspects of their own lives.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Alice Lippit's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”