Review by ktrae910 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Review by ktrae910 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by ktrae910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love at Your Service by Shay Carter is the story of a young man trying to figure out his life. It is set in England in current times. It is a YA novel.

The story starts with Carter giving a succinct background for Randy. This is done in an almost clinical manner and went on long enough I began to fear the whole book would be narrated in this very dispassionate method. When Carter completed Randy’s history and she picks up the current timeline, the story becomes more readable.

As the story gets going, Randy is a college kid living in his father’s home after returning from a gap year living in the U.S. Now he needs to get a job and move out of his dad’s house. His first stop is a staffing agency where he’s hired to do temp work, usually in food service. The temp agency is glad to have Randy because he is willing to do just about any job if the price is right.

After a while, however, Randy begins to become concerned about his future. Not only is he concerned about his future, it’s hard to go out drinking and carousing with his buddies if he is working every Friday and Saturday night. Through the staffing agency, Randy lands a customer service job at a low end bank where the managers must oversee several branches at once.

Because of the bank’s slow business and slower pay scale, Randy quickly learns he’s the cream of the crop. His branch manager entrusts him with the keys so the manager doesn’t have to make an appearance every day. After learning more about the banking and finance industry, Randy decides to study for the financial management exams and seek employment in London.

London is a whole different ball of wax for Randy. His social life doesn’t suffer in the least because his brother is a successful London attorney and he has a few buddies from home that have moved there.

Intertwined in the story of Randy’s job history is the story of his living arrangements and his personal finance habits. The situations he creates for himself are truly mind blowing.

I couldn’t tell if Carter was intending to write a comedy or a tragedy in Randy Love at Your Service. At times I felt like it is a commentary on millennials. At other times, I felt like it is a story about a young man addicted to making trouble for himself. I might have laughed at some of the stunts portrayed if it wasn’t so self destructive. I am still quite unsure whether to laugh or cry.

The book was fraught with dialogue paragraph errors. The standard formatting for dialogue is that only one character has a voice in a paragraph. Carter frequently places both statement/question and the reply in the same paragraph.

I might have chalked the dialogue problems up to formatting problems when going from her original text to Kindle format if it happened only once or twice or if there were issues with non-dialogue paragraphs as well. This was not the case. For this reason, I don’t believe this book was professionally or otherwise edited.

I am rating Randy Love at Your Service 1 out of 4 stars for the dialogue format errors, the confusing direction and the completely empty feeling with which I finished the book.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ktrae910's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Your comment that you don't know if the author was trying to write a comedy or tragedy is very telling about the nature of this book. Your rating is consistent with others I have seen of this novel. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems that Randy is not getting much love from OBC reviewers. I hope the author heeds the suggestions for the next attempt.
esthernn
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by esthernn »

Good review.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The second review about the same book that I have seen. And the score is a low one!
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This isn't the piece I am after; I'm sorry to know your disappointments, too. However, thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I read this book too. Although my experience was quite different from yours but I think I can understand why you rated the book 1out of 4 stars. Great review you have written.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”