Review by Kat Berg -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Kat Berg -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let go from the beginning until the very end. As the book opens we are introduced to The Reverend and are immediately plunged into a world of madness, fear, and an intense and desperate fight of good versus evil where the lines sometimes blur and it is no longer always easy to tell the difference between the two.

Straight from The Reverend’s fight with pure evil we are dropped into the life of Haatim, a grief-stricken man from India who is hiding from his old life, his parents, and the God who has failed him. What do you do when your entire life has revolved around religion and now that life feels meaningless and empty? Well, you unknowingly take a job from a demon to spy on a demon hunter of course.

Abigail, the demon hunter, ends up rescuing Haatim from death at the hands of these demons and events conspire to keep them together as she investigates mysterious and possibly demonic happenings in the distant town of Raven’s Peak. Haatim and Abigail both have secrets, and they need to learn to trust and lean on each other if they are to have any hope of surviving the battle they will face in Raven’s Peak.

I couldn’t put this book down; it was just that good. It was so well paced. There were absolutely no moments where I wished the author would just get on with it. Horror is not my usual kind of read but this book is not just a book that is designed to scare you, although it can certainly do that, but it also makes you think deeply about relationships, religion, and the nature of evil.

This book is not just action candy. It is also beautifully written. There are times where you can almost smell the fear in the air as you read, but that is nicely balanced with just enough lighter moments that it doesn’t become oppressive. Cole draws you into a world where demons exist and a special society also exists particularly to save the world from the ravages of demonic activity. The author causes you to ask questions about your conceptions of right and wrong, especially in the cause of the greater good, but his hand is so light you don’t even know that you are asking those questions until days later when you are still thinking about it.

The characters are well developed, and you find yourself rooting for them. I enjoyed the way the relationship between Haatim and Abigail develops. Haatim is almost comically naïve, and Abigail is rigidly hard; yet, as the story progresses we see that this is just the surface. All of these characters are more than they appear on the surface. He even manages to make a demon sympathetic for a moment. No mean feat when they are the bad guys.

This book seems professionally edited and I did not notice any errors. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a gripping read and I eagerly anticipate the continuing books in the series. If you are sensitive to violence or stories involving demons this is probably not for you as it is not for the timid. Although violent, it is amazingly clean as regards language and sex, with very little of either, and nothing at all graphic. Although I would not recommend this for younger readers because of the violence and scary themes, mature readers will enjoy this, and the depth of the story makes it a great, solid read.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I dread being "plunged into a world of madness, fear, and an intense and desperate fight of good versus evil," which Lincoln Cole's Raven's Peak mirrors. However, I enjoyed this review. Good job, Kat Berg!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I almost didn't read this book. But now I shall. Thank you for writing this review. It's beautiful.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

KlareAllison wrote:I dread being "plunged into a world of madness, fear, and an intense and desperate fight of good versus evil," which Lincoln Cole's Raven's Peak mirrors. However, I enjoyed this review. Good job, Kat Berg!
Thanks KlareAllison! I have many friends who would not touch this with a ten foot pole, so I understand :D. Glad you stopped by!

-- 08 Nov 2017, 23:32 --
HouseOfAtticus wrote:I almost didn't read this book. But now I shall. Thank you for writing this review. It's beautiful.
HouseOfAtticus, it is really so good and so worth your time! Thanks for your kind words. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Very well written review. Having read the sample, this one is not for me but you really convey your enthusiasm about it for readers who like novels of this type.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Very well written review. Having read the sample, this one is not for me but you really convey your enthusiasm about it for readers who like novels of this type.
Thanks Spirit Wandering. I read the sample when it was BOTD a little while earlier and the Prologue was so intense (although VERY well written) that I wasn't sure it was a book for me. Stack on top of that the horror genre and well...I really have no idea what made me finally decide to read it, but I am glad I did, in spite of my misgivings. Thanks for reading and commenting!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Wow. This sounds like an irresistible read. This is going on my to-read shelf. Thank you for this review. It is beautiful.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

HouseOfAtticus wrote:Wow. This sounds like an irresistible read. This is going on my to-read shelf. Thank you for this review. It is beautiful.
Just read your first official review! Congrats! And thanks :)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've read several reviews of this book, and they were all pretty much positive. I've got to pick it up at some point! Now, horror is usually not my main genre, but this seems to be something more. Loved your review, Kat Berg.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

The battle between good and evil is a daily nightmare for everyone on earth. I read the book and I loved it much. Nice review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

This genre is not my cup of tea, but I am glad you liked the story. I enjoyed reading another book by this author, but it was general fiction. It's great that he writes in different genres.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I keep meaning to read this book and this wonderful review is bringing that to my mind's forefront. This sounds like a great book. Who doesn't love a story that grips you from beginning to end with well-developed characters?
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

By reading your review, I could make out that you enjoyed reading this novel. This does not seem to be the book for me but I enjoyed reading your review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love horror done right, when scares are not solely done for the sake of it. This sounds like that kind of book. You may have convinced me to read this for my next review.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

kislany wrote:I've read several reviews of this book, and they were all pretty much positive. I've got to pick it up at some point! Now, horror is usually not my main genre, but this seems to be something more. Loved your review, Kat Berg.
Thanks Kislany! I hope that when you pick it up you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”