Review by Momiji1987 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a children’s book by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon, and Margaret B. Hannon.

The story is relatively simple and cute and has adorable characters. Puffy is a curious cat that gets into trouble with some humorous results. The story is something kids and adults can both enjoy reading and learning from together. It has a good message that parents can use to teach their children about safety without frightening or giving them worries they shouldn’t have to think about before bedtime.

The authors really put some thought into ways to make this book more interactive. Unlike most books for children, this one provides parents and teachers with a list of ideas to stimulate learning and creativity. I liked this feature and the list of suggestions they put together. I think these ideas would be especially helpful to parents that don’t have a lot of time to think of ways to make reading more fun for their kids. The authors also include an illustration of Puffy that children can color as a reward and offer the option to request additional coloring pages and word lists from the book for free.

Puffy and the other animal characters are illustrated by Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon. The drawings are something kids in particular could relate to and even copy successfully if they enjoy drawing or tracing. If I had kids we would probably use this book as inspiration to write and draw our own Puffy adventures. The drawings are cute and expressive and adequately illustrate the story.

I think the most notable and different aspect of this book is the vocabulary the authors use. This isn’t Dick and Jane with simple words and grammar. The authors make it a point to tell the story with very advanced words like “formidable” and “foe” as evidenced in the title. I’m not sure how most kids would react to this choice by the authors, but I would have loved learning words like this when I was little. I think gifted children would be the most appreciative of the vocabulary in this book, but the authors don’t specify the age or type of child they’re aiming for. As such, anyone who wants to give their kids a boost in language learning could potentially use this book as a tool to aid comprehension and encourage retention.

This is a good book for parents that want their kids to learn new vocabulary and experience a cautionary tale with a funny outcome. The rhyming words are interesting and novel for a book aimed at young children, but the interactive aspects make this a book parents and kids can enjoy returning to and learning from again and again. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its creativity, interesting vocabulary, and interactivity.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This is a well written and thoroughly edited review. Great description of the book and I like how you included the extras and target audience. My only suggestion would be to give an actual age range. Young children can be really subjective especially to a person without children who is looking for a book as a gift.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

CommMayo wrote:This is a well written and thoroughly edited review. Great description of the book and I like how you included the extras and target audience. My only suggestion would be to give an actual age range. Young children can be really subjective especially to a person without children who is looking for a book as a gift.
Thank you! That's a good point, but also kind of hard to answer. The drawings and the story seems appropriate for very young children age two and up. The words are advanced and more appropriate for older kids who can read, but younger children who are gifted would probably like the challenge. Thanks for the feedback!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! I will surely read this book to the kids.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Great! Hope they love it!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Momiji1987 wrote: 04 Nov 2017, 03:04 I think the most notable and different aspect of this book is the vocabulary the authors use. This isn’t Dick and Jane with simple words and grammar.
Ha! You made me laugh here. You're right, this is not Dick and Jane. The words used offer great opportunities for learning.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

NL Hartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 14:17
Momiji1987 wrote: 04 Nov 2017, 03:04 I think the most notable and different aspect of this book is the vocabulary the authors use. This isn’t Dick and Jane with simple words and grammar.
Ha! You made me laugh here. You're right, this is not Dick and Jane. The words used offer great opportunities for learning.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
Yes, I’m not really a fan of the art style either. Some of it is cute, but like you said, the quality fluctuates from picture to picture. I think I said in my review that because the drawings are simple, it would be easy for kids to copy and draw their own stories; so in my opinion it’s basic, but some kids might like it. I do like that the authors attempted to illustrate their own book even though art isn’t really their forte. That is admirable because I’m sure they realize their talents lie more in the story. I don’t really know how to feel about it either way. It is a self-published book, so I guess I decided to be more forgiving in my review, but I think it’s fair to take off stars to express your opinion of the overall experience of the story. I agree it would be a better book with more professional art, but I also respect the authors for illustrating it on their own. I look forward to checking out and commenting on your review!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Momiji1987 wrote: 04 Nov 2017, 03:04 I also respect the authors for illustrating it on their own.

I agree with you there! They have way more guts and talent than I :)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review. I love this book. It is so cute and funny. Puffy really inspires you.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

pinklover wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 00:03 Nice review. I love this book. It is so cute and funny. Puffy really inspires you.
I agree, this is a great book for kids. :) Thanks for reading my review!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

pinklover wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 00:03 Nice review. I love this book. It is so cute and funny. Puffy really inspires you.
I agree, this is a great book for kids. :) Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”