Review by Almeja97 -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Almeja97
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeja97.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Review by Almeja97 -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Almeja97 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Author is Dead is a fiction book that narrates the story of a boy called Adam. The story develops in a town of people called Authoritarians, who are all forced to live by the rules enforced by those in power, called Visionaries. The rules control the town´s people´s lives to the point where they are told how to break an egg, and failing to do as established would result in a punishment called educating. The purpose of these rules is to serve the Author, who is their creator.

Adam is a rebellious boy who disagrees with this way of living, and as he meets the love of his life, who is from a village of Kafkaists (people considered inferior and enemies by Authoritarians) he engages in a dangerous adventure where he meets new enemies and friends and undergoes many challenges.

This book would be best enjoyed by younger audiences, like children from ten to fifteen years old approximately. I believe it might be a little dull and childish for people over that age.

On the positive aspects, I want to highlight three. First, the book is well written which makes it easy to read and understand, and it has very few orthographical errors. Second, the main character has a friendly and funny way of narrating his story, which I believe young readers would enjoy. Third, the story´s plot is very creative, for I have never read a book that uses controlling societies as the base of its story.

On the other hand, I believe the story could have been better developed. The author starts the book with a lot of details and interesting scenes that make the reader want to continue with the story. However, by the third quarter of the book, the author rushes in finishing the story. Also, I think the book lacked those intriguing moments where the reader can´t let go of the story until he knows what happens next. For me, this moments are crucial in fiction books, because they keep the reader engaged in the story.

Taking all of this in count, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Even though the story was well written and the author´s idea with the book was interesting, I didn’t find it engaging enough to give it three stars out of four, especially because the plot could have been better developed throughout the book. However, I believe that this book could be enjoyed by other readers.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Almeja97's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”