Review by Emilyflint -- The Elf Coup - Book Three of the...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Emilyflint -- The Elf Coup - Book Three of the...

Post by Emilyflint »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Coup, is the third installment of The Magi Charter by Jordan David.  This third book once again follows the elf, Noel Night.  Noel and the other elves have been informed that Santa and his bride, who are out on their honeymoon, have been detained by police.  Mistletoe Green, the former head of the FCD, is at his old ways again, he is trying to sieze the opportunity of Santa missing and take over the North Pole.  Noel has been informed that he may be the only one who can disrupt Mistletoe's plans.  In the meantime, all of the departments are expierencing shortages of power and missing elves.  The Krampus creature is running amuck and causing major issues, including the power outages across all of the North Pole. Noel is training in elfin runes with the mysterious Master Lux while avoiding direct confrontation with any FCD elves.

Noel Night, head of the Historical Department, has been charged with a special job by The Wise Coucil.  He is to travel to the previous home of the Santa Claus to find artifacts.  While there, he is supposed to find anything pertaining to the mysterious elfin runes.  Unbeknownst to his friend and he, Krampus has hitched a ride with them.  When they arrive back, Krampus begins to search for his Santa and sets things upside down for the elves. Production of toys and all other departments are behind for the first time and The Mission is in jeopardy.  Mistletoe Green is using the unsettlement of the North Pole and the disappearance of Santa to his advantage.  He makes an arrangement with the Polar Bears and starts his takeover.  Will Noel be able to find what he needs in time to save his friends and the North Pole?  Where is Santa and the NP1 team?  So many questions left, who will come out on top in the end?

There were some things that I did not care for in this book.  There was so little information about what was going on with Santa, his wife, and the NP1 team until much too far into the book.  There was one little quick blurb about their disappearance and then nothing until they decided to do something about it. The author could have simply written that one faction of the elves were going to work on a plan rather than there being hardly anything.  It almost seemed like it just wasn't important enough to truly be written about.  There were multiple mistakes of wrong words being used.  Words that were close in spelling but meant completely different things.  Grammar was also an issue during the entire book.  The author could have honestly done away with the scene about Evergreen Pine's family as well; her sister was much too upset and with too much hatred for Evergreen to ever accept her back.  It is the exact opposite of what the author should have written with how he wrote the ending of Evergreen Pine.

I truly enjoyed reading this book, just like it's predecessors.  The whole premise of these books are something that truly hasn't been written about before.  I absolutely love the fact that they also are not from Santa's perspective.  If they had been, I can not see them as being nearly as enjoyable to read.  The addition of the Wise Council was great simply because of the knowledge and wisdom of the elder elves.

I will give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Even though I truly loved reading this book, the grammatical errors, use of wrong words, and poor editing are the reasons I cannot give it a full 4 star rating.  I believe this author is doing a wonderful job with these books, but I would love to see better editing on their behalf, especially when it comes to the use of wrong words.  Unfortunately, a strong vocabulary is needed to understand the sentences with the wrong words and would be quite confusing for those readers without one.

The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emilyflint's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”