Review by Doaa Wael -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by Doaa Wael -- My Trip To Adele

Post by Doaa Wael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first saw the cover of My Trip to Adele by R.I. Alyaseer and A.I. Alyaseer, I didn't think this would be a book that I would enjoy reading. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. When I read the author's interview conducted by Kandscreely, I fell in love with the siblings' passion and genuine desire to share their book with the world and with Adele. The interview was with Ahmed but he mentioned his sister Rana, who co-authored the book with him. The book was initially written in Arabic. However, all their attempt to traditionally publish it were rejected. Thankfully, they decided to translate it into English and self-publish it. Unfortunately, Adele didn't get to see the book, despite the authors' multiple attempts to reach her. This book, as the title suggests, revolves around Adele and her long-awaited tour (at that time) for her new album, 25.

The book alternates between three intriguing stories with compelling primary and secondary characters. The first story is about Elias, a young Moroccan businessman who lives in Rome. Eight years ago, he visited the magical city, Marrakesh and fell in love with its charm. But it wasn't just the city that he fell in love with; there was his long-lost first love, Malika, who captivated him with her untamed black hair that matched her wild, pure soul. So eight years later, Elias sets off to Marrakesh, to relive his memories and reunite with his Malika, all while searching for answers about why he left in the first place, all those years ago.

Elias wasn't the only one trying to relive his memories. There was the couple, Yaser, and Mariam, who between their busy lives and their kids, have lost all their hope and love for each other. In the book, we witness their attempts to rekindle their spark before finally settling on reliving a special memory they once shared, Adele. This wasn't my favorite story of the three, but it highlighted an important issue that many married couples face. Additionally, the characters displayed enjoyable transformations and very interesting monologues. Then there was Nadia, my favorite character, a single mother who is fierce and strong, fighting all odds and overcoming all obstacles that stand between her and her freedom. We learn about sacrifice, independence, and motherhood all through this amazing character, Nadia. Each of the three main characters, although living in a different part of the globe, shares a profound love for Adele. One way or another, fate decides that the upcoming Adele concert will be a journey that they will all be looking forward to, each having their own intriguing reasons and justifications.

The authors said that these stories were inspired when they went to Adele's latest concert. They said one of the stories was based on the true story of Rana herself. It was fun to guess which one was it. The authors' and the characters' love for Adele was apparent as each chapter ended with a few verses from popular Adele songs. Each chapter was titled and themed after the name of the song whose lyrics were at the end of the chapter. The last chapter, chapter number 25, where the characters were supposed to reach the climactic point (arriving at the concert) was also named 25, in reference to Adele's album 25. I found this arrangement very satisfying and indicating a higher level of story planning.

Each story's buildup was very well-paced. The book was written in the third person, narrated smoothly and elegantly. The characters would ask themselves questions that they were seeking answers for, and then we would travel back in time with them to recall answers or follow up with their present to seek new answers. All the characters had their own inner conflicts that they were battling and each one of them had fears, doubts, hope, and love. The authors brilliantly delved into a spectrum of emotions and highlighted a variety of themes. The concepts of freedom, infidelity, abuse, time and love were intensely discussed.

It was astonishing how lyrics that we have heard 100 times can carry new meanings when viewed from a new perspective. It was mesmerizing how each chapter was tailored creatively to fit the accompanying Adele's lyrics. They were so spot-on that you would think Adele wrote those songs with this book in mind. I think the authors have successfully accomplished their goal of showcasing how Adele's lyrics easily apply to many people regardless of their different situations and various backgrounds.

I felt a weird sense of joy while I read the book as it felt quite unique. Since the book was originally written in Arabic and then got translated, unlike other translated book, I felt its Arabic essence was preserved. The Arabic culture was conveyed in the various themes of the book, whether, through some of the conflicts the characters faced or through the description of Marrakesh and El-Fnaa square with all its local shattahs and snake charmers. I wanted to know why Yaser and Elias waited eight years to act on their feelings. Nevertheless, this was quite an enjoyable book and the authors have spent a lot of effort on it. I gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves

Like Doaa Wael's review? Post a comment saying so!
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was also disappointed that Adele was not able to see, let alone read, this book that the authors took pains to write to honor her.

Thanks for your lovely review, Doaa Wael. I hope the authors will find consolation in the many good reviews of their masterpiece.
Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

Miriam Molina wrote:I was also disappointed that Adele was not able to see, let alone read, this book that the authors took pains to write to honor her.

Thanks for your lovely review, Doaa Wael. I hope the authors will find consolation in the many good reviews of their masterpiece.

Hi Miriam,
It is a pleasure to see you on my review again :) Yes I agree with you.

Since your name reminds me of the name of one of the characters, the reminds me to ask, did you feel empathy for Mariam in the end or do you think it was her fault/all too late?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Mariam is a character of contradictions. She loved her husband but didn't know how to show it. I'll stop there, or I might be guilty of giving away spoilers. lol
Successismine
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Successismine »

Talking about writing the book in Arabic. What more can I say? Adele, one of my favorite songwriter. She deserves the title.

The Novel is the bomb.
I really do recommend it for all book lovers.

4 out of 4
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is a really nicely done review of the book. I felt it was a unique type of story and it's a shame Adele has not had chance to see it yet.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I think the book deserves the rating you gave.I enjoyed every piece of it. Great review!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

Successismine wrote:Talking about writing the book in Arabic. What more can I say? Adele, one of my favorite songwriter. She deserves the title.

The Novel is the bomb.
I really do recommend it for all book lovers.

4 out of 4

Thank you so much :) I agree with you! I love your name btw, good message ;)

-- 22 Oct 2017, 18:04 --
Gingerbo0ks wrote:This is a really nicely done review of the book. I felt it was a unique type of story and it's a shame Adele has not had chance to see it yet.
Thank you Ginger books, pleasure to see you on my posts :)

-- 22 Oct 2017, 18:04 --
meteku4 wrote:I think the book deserves the rating you gave.I enjoyed every piece of it. Great review!

Thank youu, i am glad you did ^-^ I enjoyed reading your comment :)
Ify2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ify2018 »

Great review
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's always great when a book turns out to be so much better than you expected! I liked the whole book - except Elias. The music lyrics were well done and the whole concept of combining music with three families was ingenious. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”