Review by sj_robert -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sj_robert
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sj-robert.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Review by sj_robert -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sj_robert »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a fictional tale by Charlie Sheldon. A big part of the story is set around and within the Olympic National Park in Washington State, USA.

The story begins with our protagonist, Tom, about to leave for a planned camping trip. He's accompanied by William and William's daughter, Myra. Tom planned this trip as a secret pilgrimage to his grandfather's grave. Just before his departure, he is reunited with Sarah-a granddaughter he knew nothing about. This becomes the first of many obstacles that will lead Tom to reconsider his earlier decisions. Tom reluctantly brings Sarah along for the trip – the teenager is not impressed at all.

Sarah initially hates the outdoors and becomes rebellious. After a week in the wilderness, Sarah suddenly goes missing. Tom initially thinks it's another rebellious streak, but things become even more complicated when she's not seen for several nights. What follows is a desperate attempt to find her and the introduction of a shadowy corporate antagonist with a secret agenda that will drag in Tom's family. Will Sarah find her way back? Do you know what a short-faced bear is? Join Tom and Sarah in Strong Heart to find out about this and more.

Strong Heart is OBC's Book Of The Month. I also picked up this book for the rave reviews I've seen, I was curious. I had high expectations and am pleased to not have been disappointed. Besides, this was my first book to review and I was hoping for something light and easy.

Sarah was the most well-developed character. I admired her resilience and bravery displayed throughout the book. Although her initial rebellion was frustrating, her quick transition to maturity was highly admirable. My worst character would have to be Pretty Face. Please get yourself a copy of the book to know why.

The book had strong themes, especially on nature and the environment. Sheldon described the Earth and sky as if it was another character in the book. I was mesmerized by the surroundings inside Olympic National Park and Sarah's ordeal at sea. Although at times it felt as if it was overdone, this was not enough to be so much of a distraction. The author's love of nature is apparent even in the protagonists' stand for conservation. Family is also a strong theme in the book. I sympathized with Tom and the reasons behind his pilgrimage. I don't know how I would react when in a similar situation when his grandfather died. I am an emotional person and can't handle death so easily.

I did not find any errors in the book. The pace was slow but engaging. I liked the inclusion of the sitemap which I referenced continuously and was a useful aid. Due to these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to fans of historical tales. Other prevalent themes are American-Indian origins, family, conservancy, and the environment.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sj_robert's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I can't believe I've not read this book yet. I might just have a look, your review piqued my interest.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi Robert,
I also enjoyed the descriptions of nature and the environment. The author seems to be talented in this. Great review Robert.
sj_robert

Post by sj_robert »

Thanks guys for stopping by my review. The judges here are quite strict. I did not expect such a low score. At least there's space for improvement. On to the next one.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html

Post by Alicnim »

sj_robert wrote:Thanks guys for stopping by my review. The judges here are quite strict. I did not expect such a low score. At least there's space for improvement. On to the next one.
Don't worry Robert, you'll learn quick enough. Just ensure you get yourself a paid Grammarly subscription. Goes a long way.
sj_robert

Post by sj_robert »

You think? I'll do my best, I'll also check out your other reviews shortly. Thanks again.
AdaJude
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by AdaJude »

Nice review, am still not sure about this genre. I might need to have a look. I enjoyed your review.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

sj_robert wrote:Thanks guys for stopping by my review. The judges here are quite strict. I did not expect such a low score. At least there's space for improvement. On to the next one.
I sympathize, as the same thing happened to me on my first review. My advice is to closely read the guidelines and make sure you meet them all in each review. Even then, it is difficult to always catch every mistake. For example, I left out an "of" in my last review. Hang in there-it gets easier over time to be exacting. :D
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
sj_robert

Post by sj_robert »

Spirit Wandering wrote:
I sympathize, as the same thing happened to me on my first review. My advice is to closely read the guidelines and make sure you meet them all in each review. Even then, it is difficult to always catch every mistake. For example, I left out an "of" in my last review. Hang in there-it gets easier over time to be exacting. :D
Thanks for stopping by. I take your comments seriously and appreciate the assist.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”