Review by anacmg9211 -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anacmg9211
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacmg9211.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by anacmg9211 -- My Trip To Adele

Post by anacmg9211 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am usually very good at judging if I will like a book or not just by reading the synopsis/summary of it, and when I read this one's I figured I probably wouldn't like it, or at least it would be merely okay… I was wrong. Terribly so. Before I give my full review, let me just say that I highly encourage listening to Adele while you read this book, trust me on that. I didn't when I first began reading but started a few chapters in and I wasn't disappointed.

This book revolves around three very different stories that have one? thing in common: an Adele concert. First, we meet Elias, a young man living in Italy that feels a longing for Morocco, the place where he fell deeply in love with a girl named Malika. A girl he decided to leave behind but that still haunts his dreams. While in Rome, a chance encounter with a fortune teller makes his memories of her come back in full force and he can't help but go back to Morocco. When he gets there we finally understand who Malika was and why he had to make the painful decision to leave her. In the middle of his search for her, he is reminded of the promise he made her eight years ago, to meet at the next Adele concert. But will he find Malika? Will she remember him?

On the other side of the world, in Vegas, we meet Yaser, a successful surgeon struggling with a dying marriage. His wife, Mariam, appears to resent him for everything he does, but still they decide to seek a counselor to try and pick up the pieces of their broken marriage. In an attempt to remember the loving couple they were once upon a time he plans a getaway for them, a last resort kind of vacation, a trip to an Adele concert. But will that be enough to save their crumbling marriage?

Finally, we have Nadia, a young single mom that lives in Jordan with her son Waleed. Having walked away from an abusive relationship she struggles to become her own person while fighting old traditions that keep wanting to bring her down. Her one dream is to take her son to see their favorite singer in concert: Adele. But will her abusive ex-husband allow this to happen? Is she strong enough to stand up to him and a lifetime of traditions? Will it make a difference?

I rate My Trip to Adele 4 out of 4 stars. It was absolutely captivating since the very first chapter. The authors’ prose is magnificent, I fully expected the book to be written in a juvenile and childish manner but was pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't have been more wrong. All of the chapters are named after Adele songs and end with said song being intertwined with the story, I thought maybe in some it would feel like it was forced and it wouldn't flow naturally but it did.

This book is written in such a way that it makes you root for each one of the main characters, even if at times you may not agree with their decisions. I found myself longing for Elias to find Malika, feeling hatred for Nadia's ex-husband and annoyed to no end with Yaser’s wife. That's the kind of book this is. I would say that the best asset of it is the fact that the plot twists keep you on your toes with the story. You know how usually when you're about two thirds into the book you can start guessing how the story, or in this case stories, will end? Well, with this book you will be wrong. I was convinced I knew how they would all end, and the authors surprised me greatly.

This was a great book and I would ask everyone to give it a chance. The storyline and the fact that it's so short may have you thinking it won't be any good but My Trip to Adele is nothing short of amazing.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves

Like anacmg9211's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I loved reading and reviewing the book, too. An Adele fan myself, I didn't have trouble recalling and hearing Adele's songs from the heart while reading it. Your suggestion, though, to have them played in the background while on the novel is just brilliant. I like your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”