Review by Blue-siren -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by Blue-siren -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Blue-siren »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

December is only a couple of months away but reading The Elf Brief by Jordan David managed to create a temporary Christmas mood that lasts throughout the whole reading of this book. The Elf Brief is about Noel Night, an elf who works in the List department of the North Pole. Noel thinks of himself as an average elf doing his job, until one day he gets a call to meet Santa. He’s caught off guard and assumes that there has been a mistake, but he learned that he had been chosen to complete a secret assignment for Santa. His task involves him stepping out of his comfort zone and recording the shifting of generations. As the story continues, Noel learns about a world he’s only read about and realizes that there’s more to the North Pole than what he saw.

The Elf Brief is a light-hearted fantasy/sci-fi story that revolves around the North Pole, with Santa, elves, and Christmas itself. The story is delightful but has a mystery about the North Pole, and David does a fantastic job at world building. The development of the North Pole is very detailed as the reader can tell that so much time went into world-building, from elves to the history of Christmas. David’s writing is very descriptive and places the reader within the world of the story. The diction that David uses comes in a large variety and feels very whimsical, though few spelling mistakes do take place, though these errors are very few.

The characters in the book are not that interesting except for Noel Night. Noel feels like the only character to have a personality. While on the other hand, the other elves just seem to mimic each other and don’t shine as individuals. I liked Noel; he’s careful with what he does and what he says. Also, he has a unique personality that makes him shine above the rest of the characters. I wish a bit more time was put into the development of the character because it feels that the characters consistently stay the same. Though, since this book is part of a series, so I’ll give some leeway.

The plot of the story is engrossing. You expect it to be about one thing, but then it unfolds into a whole other thing. The themes of this book are very heart-warming in a way. Cherishing memories and memories are fleeing are the two main themes. The Elf Brief gives the reader a chance to gain something from the story, and that’s one of the things that I like about the book.

Overall, I would rate The Elf Brief by Jordan David 3 out of 4 because one of the misses with this book is the characters. I did not connect with any of the characters, and they were simply just there. I wish there was more character development. However, I love the plot it’s at a great pace. It’s not too slow or too fast, but at the same time, something is always happening. The world is very amazing, and I’m surprised

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Blue-siren's review? Post a comment saying so!
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Sounds weirdly interesting. Thanks for the review!
Nick Rones
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Thank you for a good review. I have to agree that I would have liked more character development and characters with more distinctive personalities.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”