Review by TrishaAnn92 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Review by TrishaAnn92 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expansion by Christoph Martin is a Political Thriller. This is Christoph Martin’s first novel.

From the young age of 16, Max Burns has to live with the consequences of his parents’ actions. Life for him takes a surprising turn when he is recruited for an Expansion project that has forces working against it before it even begins. Only with the help of his old friend, Godfredo, and the aid of an undercover agent can Max uncover the truth. From the start, unbeknownst to Max, multiple entities are looking to see him fail, and his life destroyed in the name of protecting themselves from their own self-destruction.

From the first chapter and its wow factor, to the end, I enjoyed this book. While I didn’t get the thrill factor out of it, there are plenty of pops of excitement to keep the reader hanging on. The book is well written with only a few errors found throughout the entire book. The many characters are strongly developed. Their relationships are realistic and believable! Even when Max makes a surprising discovery about Karis (the uncover agent), who he has been sleeping with. At first, I did not understand why the first chapter was in the story. But as we reached close to the end, we see how it is against him.

There is not much I disliked about this book. While this genre was a first for me, my attention was kept the entire time. At no point did I feel bored or as if the book was dragging. However, I didn’t get the thrill part of out the book. It was exciting, and the mystery was the kind that leaves the reader trying to solve it before the big reveal. The one thing I did not like is it did not become exciting until more than half way through the book.

When I read the synopsis for this book I thought it would be an edge of your seat type of book. With that being said I believe the ending, and how the mystery concludes was played out well. I was shocked by the abrupt ending. I was very much expecting one thing and instead we are left with an open-ended end. While I enjoy a good cliff hanger, I am not entirely sure how I feel about the end of this book. All I can say is I hope there is a second book to follow up.

I would recommend The Expansion to readers who love a good mystery. It was interesting throughout, with a solid foundation. Therefore, I rate The Expansion by Christoph Martin a 3 out of 4 stars. This is not a book I would be likely to read again, but I would be happy to read more works by this author.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, TrishaAnn92! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book. I have read it too and gave it 3 stars like you did. The excitement came in too late for me.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you! That was my problem, the excitement didn't cone to the end, but the beginning gave me high expectations.
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

I've been looking at this book in the book of the month section, and have been hesitant to read it. I appreciate your honest review about the arrival of excitement. I may have to pass on this one.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”