Review by dragonet07 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review by dragonet07 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?: A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden by William E. Combs certainly lives up to its title. An analysis of Adam and Eve’s fall and the aftermath, this book does not read like other examinations of the Bible. Combs delves deep into a close reading of various textual versions of Scripture and utilizes a scholarly approach which many people neglect in their everyday discussions of religion.

The book begins with an anecdote about the author’s upbringing in Alaska and how his first sighting of the Northern Lights alleviated his fear of walking from his family’s outhouse in the dark. Through this metaphor, he encourages readers to look beyond the superficial layers of the Bible for the meaning of Christianity. He continues into a discussion of the Bible, at first focused on Adam and Eve then the New Testament, and conducts close readings which any English major would appreciate. All the while, Combs attempts to define nakedness, sin, and faith.

Through these definitions, Combs addresses a prominent debate in Christianity: how can we best follow the Lord?

As a non-Christian, I chose to read this book out of curiosity and to expand my horizons. I was pleasantly surprised by the intellectual level of the conversation and the intrigue of the points which Combs makes, namely his approach to “nakedness”. The introductory anecdote grabbed my attention immediately and the vignettes expanding upon biblical verses kept it. I also grew impressed by the author’s ability to anticipate the reader’s questions, although I must admit that many of my questions were not answered to my satisfaction.

My interest piqued with the analysis of Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden, though through no fault of the book; my interest just lies more with the Old Testament than the New Testament. The book has not convinced me to become Christian, and I doubt that it would convert anyone who does not already have Christian tendencies. However, the writing held my attention from beginning to end, especially as I wanted to know more about the author’s viewpoint.

The book is not perfect. Throughout the text, certain quotations have been excerpted and repeated in larger print. While the author or editor probably meant to emphasize these quotes, I found myself skimming past them and being irritated by the interruption. I also have mixed feelings about the “study questions” which follow the end of each chapter. The vast majority of the questions provoke deep thought and would take me a while to answer to my own satisfaction. Still, some of the questions seem more like Sunday school questions, something you would ask children to see if they understand what they have read; these questions, I fear, would not prompt any meaningful discussion and do not fit with the rest of the book.

Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found no glaring proofreading errors. Even though I am not Christian and do not share most of the ideology expressed, Combs has given me a lot to think about and his writing will stick with me for a while. Children could read this book since the writing is simple and fast-paced, but I believe the author’s ideas would provoke enough thought that older readers will gain more from the book. While Combs clearly wrote this book for Christians, I think anyone with Christian leanings and/or a scholarly curiosity for religion would enjoy the read. I only wish that the excerpted quotes had not gotten in the way of my reading and that all of the study questions were thought-provoking.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dragonet07's review? Post a comment saying so!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”