Review by Sasha Walker -- Temptation Trials Part I

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by Sasha Walker -- Temptation Trials Part I

Post by Sasha Walker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Temptation Trials by B. Ruby is a dystopian romance set in California after World War III. Society has rebuilt itself under a totalitarian leader who has outlawed music, television, and other creative media. The most controversial law under the new regime is that all citizens who reach the age of twenty-one have to marry someone the government chooses for them. The only way out of such an arranged marriage is to enter a government-run reality television show called The Temptation Trials. Couples who claim to be in love are chosen and sent to an island where they are separated and forced to date other people. If the couple remains true to each other, then the Emperor can give his permission for them to marry.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book combines ideas from Delirium by Lauren Oliver and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Essentially love is thwarted by the government and then there is a government sponsored television show meant to help enforce the law. The premise of this novel has the potential to introduce these common dystopian ideas in a new way and allow readers to have a unique experience. Instead the story becomes a “penny novel,” a cheap book that regurgitates popular stories back to readers in a slightly different form. For example, if a reader enjoyed Delirium, then they could read this book and achieve a similar “feeling” despite the fact that this story has less developed plot and characters.

In terms of this story as a romance, the relationships of the two couples are not developed well enough to make readers root for them during the trials. The first few months of the couples’ relationships are left out, and neither of the couples are presented with plot-relevant challenges that test their feeling for each other. When writing erotica it is really important that the readers care about the characters and want them to exercise their love in a physical context. Otherwise the sex scenes are reduced to risqué words assembled on a page instead of the recognition of love or pleasure.

Furthermore, there are three instances where one half of a couple is introducing the other to their parents. Every meeting follows the same pattern. The parent(s) say that their child’s partner is attractive. Then after a few lines of exchanged dialogue the parents decide they like said partner. Finally they relay concern about the longevity of the relationship because of the arranged marriage law. This repetition is boring for the reader and serves no purpose beyond adding pages to a book. The point of following multiple characters is to see the same plot through a different perspective and this repeating scenario over and over and over again shows the lost potential of this story but also a certain laziness by the author.

Another example of this is when the author describes a character’s appearance by saying she looks exactly like Jessica Alba. First of all, Alba is described as a twentieth century actress and although she had some work in the last six years of that century, she is considered a twenty-first century actress. Beyond that, referencing Jessica Alba is a weak allusion to pop culture that does not add substance to the character or the plot. If the author wants a character to look like Jessica Alba, then describe her instead of relying on the reader to know what she looks like or having to look her up.

To anyone who is considering reading this novel I would say that there is better erotic fiction out there. The author needs to focus more on the struggles of society and how they develop the characters and their relationships. However, if you are looking for a book that you don’t have to pay much attention to or want to read about erotic reality television, then this book is not a bad choice.

Temptation Trials Part I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sasha Walker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The idea is interesting, but this isn't my genre anyway. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I have also read it . and rated it 2 . Plot lost its interest after trials started

Do check out my latest review and share your views . I will be glad to see you there
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I have not read Lauren Oliver's Delirium, but, as I got done with the first paragraph of this review, what readily came to my mind was actually The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. That said, I think reading this book will also afford one the opportunity to make one's own judgement. I enjoyed the honest review, all the same.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Sasha Walker

Post by Sasha Walker »

Thanks for reading!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review. It sounds like the game show of temptation island. But I don't like that book either. You have done a beautiful review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Sasha Walker

Post by Sasha Walker »

Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”