Review by srm628 -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Review by srm628 -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by srm628 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies is a nonfiction novel, written by Dave Robinson.

The book includes things such as the history of zombies, when (and how) zombies were introduced into the media, different types of zombies, imagery in zombies, the anatomy of zombies, how to make a zombie, and of course, how to kill a zombie. This isn't all of the topic covered in the book but provides a good basis of what you will learn about in this nonfiction novel.

The history portion of the book was interesting. Not many (zombie) books provide the reader with history. They often just go straight to how to kill. The author clearly did a lot of research to share the history with the readers.

The media portion explained the first two movies that showed zombies, as well the impact they had. For instance, one movie started a new genre of movies and became the inspiration for a famous musician's band name.

The explanation of zombies shows the different kinds. People tend to lump zombies together, despite their differences. Mr. Robinson takes the time to explain the different characteristics of the various types as well as their origin. Within these characteristics, he mentions briefly what can (or can't) kill the specific types of zombies.

In typical literature fashion, the author looks at what the various types of zombies meant for the time and what they symbolized. It takes zombies in a different light and makes the reader (or watcher) consider if there was more to the idea than just "Zombies are awesome."

My favorite portion of the book was the anatomy section. It takes the idea of psychology and plants it into zombies. I like the idea of using this field that humans are always so interested in learning more about and applying to something like zombies.

How to make a zombie is easily a runner up for my favorite portion of the book. Robinson includes the different ways that zombies were made in various mediums, including the place (or an example of ) the method originated. It also includes a note from the author talking about real world practicality.

Of course, a zombie book is not a zombie book without survival tips. We need to know how to kill the things. Mr. Robinson includes weapons and tactics and even clothing to wear if you ever find yourself in a zombie apocalypse .

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The novel was interesting to read. The author's voice was amusing and I learned a lot reading it.

It's definitely a book I suggest if you are interested in zombies or just picking up a good read.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like srm628's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”